Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenski

Honda oil leak, and runs rough

gardenski
14 years ago

I have a 17yr old HR215HXA hydrostatic drive. Engine #GXV140-135. When the engine warms up it leaks oil onto the deck. Drips from the head slightly off center toward the carb side..

I got tired of cleaning up oil and bought a Toro 20070 2 years ago and the Honda has been sitting.

Today It wouldn't start without starting fluid and wouldn't run faster than half throttle.

I took WD40 and cleaned lots of gunk off the carburetor linkage and freed everything up (I think).

Now it will idle smoothly but at fast speed, it surges. I noticed the linkage behind the cable throttle (with a moving plastic piece on top) moves back & forth with the engine surge. Also it won't even run fast until it is completely warmed up. It leaked oil for 2 or 3 seasons before I parked it.

There was an awful lot of sludge built up on and around the carb so I suspect the leak is somewhere in that area.

My oldest son just bought his first house & needs a mower so if I can fix it without spending a lot of money I'd like to give it to him. I'm no mechanic but I have tools and I can follow directions. Please help.

Comments (2)