Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zero turn mowers

Posted by emu29 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 17:51

I am researching zero turn mowers to purchase same in the near future. I will be buying at the 42" deck size. I have narrowed my options to the Toro Time Cutter 42", 21hp (Kawasaki engine) and the John Deere EZ Trak Z225...also a 42" deck with a B&S 18.5hp engine.

I have also looked at Craftsman ZTS6000 a 42" with 21hp B&S.

I have noticed that the Craftsman and Troy Bilt (may be more)have a "piviting front axle" for smoother ride over slightly uneven ground....where the John Deere and Toro units do not have this feature as their front axles seem to be one solid axle.

Intuitively, it would seem the piviting front axle would be an advantage.

CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS AND THE POSSIBLE IMPORTANCE OF ONE VS THE OTHER?

THANK YOU.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zero turn mowers

The pivoting front axle actually allows the mfg to build a cheaper and lighter weight frame. The pivoting axle also causes the deck to scalp some areas more easily. It is not an advantage. I would go with the Toro or John Deere.

o

Up until the 2008/09 Winter, I knew nothing about Z-turns as my two prior mowers were JD riders. Then I decided I wanted one. I spent a lot of time in stores, on-line and independent reading. I even came over here from the Computer Help Forum for some really great input. The end result was a JD Z425 with no complaints after one season.

Depending on how much you have to cut, how often, and how even the terrain is you might be able to use a Z225. However, they are not noted for any heavier use.

Sorry, but I was not impressed with the Toro product line.

Good luck.

DA

o

Your right about the Toro. I bought a Z5000 Timecutter in 2008. Since day one, EVERYTIME I get it out to cut grass, both front tires are flat. I pump them up, cut my grass just fine. The next week I come to cut the grass, they are BOTH flat again. This has gone on WEEKLY for over two years. Toro says there is no problems with the tires. Yea right! The company or the dealer will not do anything about the problem. They say there must be something else wrong. So the 3 year warranty they give with the machine is a joke. I spoke to a guy one morning while shopping at Home Depot that has the same z5000, and he said his tires are also flat every week. So I think the tires Toro puts on these things are defective from the factory. (they are made in China, I think) The z5000 seams to work fine otherwise. I have had Wheelhorse/Toro faithfully for over 40 years. I think my next machine will be a John Deere Zero Turn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here