Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrambler69

Briggs OHV cam/oil slinger 31H777

Scrambler69
10 years ago

Whats up forum? Last fall I joined here because of a Snapper rider that I couldn't get started. I found out through this great forum, I had a camshaft (compression release) problem. I ordered the parts in the off season and just today removed the engine and pulled the sump off to find the oil slinger gear broken off of it's shaft. I also seen the camshaft spring and maybe a pin or something laying down in there. (this is as far as I've gotten....gonna get back out and see what loose parts I find but I think its just compression relief and oil slinger parts).

I probably won't be able to pick up the oil slinger until Friday and finish this up next weekend but just thought I'd post here to see if there's any tips so I don't miss something.

I do my own mechanic work on my vehicles but am pretty B&S new believe it or not. I do have the B&S manual in PDF format.

I'm just wondering if you think the oil slinger gear (plastic) letting loose is what broke the cam spring? the cam spring flying apart and breaking the oil slinger gear? or??????

I'll investigate more when I clean this baby up and post here what I find,but just wondering if this is common???? or Ah-Ha!! That's why my gear/spring/anything else took this out!!!!

I'm pretty good on preventative maintenance on this, but I bought it used 2 years ago and to be honest didn't learn about needing valve adjustments until I had the no start problem last fall.

Well, enough rambling, any ideas what went first or any pointers send em my way. I will post when this baby gets running again. Thanks, Doug