Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
toro push mower

Posted by jeffsaywhat none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:57

I recently was given a Toro self propelled push mower. New plug,new fuel and mower ran great. The mower flooded out yesterday and I believed I had broken the pull cord, however the pull cord runs to a plastic gear that sits vertical to the flywheel. The cord is retracting and turning the plastic gear just fine but not turning the flywheel. Looking for any knowledge at all. It is a 21 inch cut with I believe a Tecumseh motor. Any help is appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: toro push mower

Here is a photo

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 19:35

That's an old old mower. Probably a plastic gear or pawl is broken in the assembly. I've never seen one of these but they are similar to the old Lawnboys about 40 years ago.

If you do get it fixed, take some time to blow the dust off the motor with compressed air. it will run cooler.

o

What you have is an LAV40 series engine with an "Impulse" Starter system.

The starter is Tecumseh part #590408 or 590378.

Be hard to find one. But with the information and part numbers. You may be able to track one down. These engines came with (If I am thinking correctly) 6 different types of pull starters and two electric ones over the years.

EDIT: I forgot about the ones that had a crank starting system. You wound the starter spring with a hand crank then released the tension on the spring and the engine cranked over.

This post was edited by hippy on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 20:12

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here