Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Mower Smoking

Posted by devine86 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 17:57

A friend of mine moved into a new home last week and does not own a lawn mower so I decided to be nice and do it for her. She has quite a large slope at the front of her property and near the end of mowing it my lawn mower began smoking white. I thought it was just over-heating since I was out there for quite a while.

I attempted to mow my lawn today but after 30 seconds the white smoke came back and there is a small amount of oil leaking from the engine. Any suggestions??

Briggs & Stratton
Murray Select Quantum 6.5 HP
Model # 222310X8A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Mower Smoking

Could be one of two things:

Worst case, the slope cause old starvation and the engine began to seize due to lack of lubrication. Bad news, because engine is now probably shot.

Better option (and maybe more likely). Slope cause oil to run from crankcase breather into carburetor and you were burning oil. Muffler is now full of oil and will continue to smoke. May actually be less smoke at start up and then really begin to smoke as engine warms up.

Suggestion for either case: Check oil level. Make sure you are above "ADD" but do not increase all the way to "FULL". Check air filter element and see if it is saturated with oil. Replace if necessary (you can't clean a paper element); must be replaced.

Now start mower on level ground and continue to run at operating speed. If engine seizes after a few minutes, you had a worse case scenario and you need at least a new engine, and probably a new mower. If it clears up and quits smoking, and continues to run strong, you are OK and didn't do any long term damage.

o
RE: Lawn Mower Smoking

'Better option (and maybe more likely). Slope cause oil to run from crankcase breather into carburetor and you were burning oil. Muffler is now full of oil and will continue to smoke. May actually be less smoke at start up and then really begin to smoke as engine warms up.'

This is what happened.

'Suggestion for either case: Check oil level. Make sure you are above "ADD" but do not increase all the way to "FULL". Check air filter element and see if it is saturated with oil. Replace if necessary (you can't clean a paper element); must be replaced.'

Do this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here