Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skotd

650 Series Briggs & Stratton VS 160cc Honda

skotd
15 years ago

I have been doing a lot of research to try and find the best mower that will not break the bank and that I can pick up locally. I do not care for self-propelled because it is just something else that can break. I do not plan on bagging, except maybe in the fall when it is all leaves, so bagging does not need to be spectacular. I live in north Georgia and my grass is more like a open field than a manicured lawn. So when it comes to mulching, as long as it knocks it down and does not leave a big mess, I am fine with it. I do not require my grass to look like it was vacuumed after it was cut!

What is more important to me is that it is powerful and reliable enough to hack down talk grass and wild flowers and not bog down. Have wheels and deck that can take the beating of a uneven natural Georgia yard that is less than a ½ acre. So with my price in mind, availability and my requirements, I came up with the below. 2 with the 650 Series Briggs & Stratton, but one has a better warranty and 2 with the same Honda engine that has been popping on everything.

THANKS FOR READING

New for 2009 Lawn Boy Push Walk Power Mower Model 10640 $239.00 650 Series Briggs & Stratton with ReadyStart, 3-year Toro GTS warranty

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100659984&N=10000003+90001+528373

Briggs & Stratton - Brute Wheel Push Mower, 22''H $224 650 Series Briggs & Stratton engine featuring ReadyStart

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10879538

Troy-Bilt: 160cc Honda 21" Cut Gas Push Mower $249.00 Yes it has a Honda engine, but is this the reliable Honda engine that made Honda famous in the commercial world? Hell you can get it on the next mower for $41 bucks cheaper.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=97712-270-TB120&lpage=none

Yard-Man Push Lawn Mower $208.00 160cc Honda

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8282573&findingMethod=rr

Briggs & Stratton - Brute Wheel Push Mower, 22''H $224 650 Series Briggs & Stratton engine featuring ReadyStart

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10879538

Comments (6)

• canguy
    15 years ago

The engine is only part of the equation. Briggs or Honda will serve you well with proper maintenance. FWIW, the Honda GCV is not the same engine that sealed Honda's reputation but it is still decent for a home owner mower.
    Deck and blade design has more to do with mower performance. I have two Honda powered mowers, one is a so called pro model from MTD likely similar to the Yardman and Troybilt you are looking at. Starts and runs fine but doesn't mulch or bag all that well. It is o.k. for the price.
    The other is a Honda HRA215 with their legendary GXV160. The thing is a bagging fool and mulches decently, best mower I have ever had.Yes it is heavy and a little clumsy in tight areas but I can live with that.The MTD is just wasting space in the shed.

• larryf
    15 years ago

Both the Briggs Ready Start and the Honda engine are very easy to start. The ready start system is much easier to start than the same Briggs with the primer system.

• skotd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am kind of leaning towards the Lawn-Boy or the Brute. The Lawn-Boy because of the 3 year warranty vs. the 2 and Toro has seemed to be a good name over the years. I understand that this new for 2009 line is a stripped down version of the Insight made just for Home Depot and some purist may not like the new Lawn Boys period.
    See below link for story, Lawn Boy was stealing Toro sales at home Depot and they did not like it, so they went to Toro. WOW what pull they have.
    I also have some reservation about anything that MTD has taken over, Chinese engines and all. I grew up hearing about Troy-Bilt quality, which is not the case any more. I also like the BRUTE because of the large back wheels, which should help on my uneven and sloped yard. Do you think the Lawn Boy wheels can take a beating?

Thanks again, your input is appreciated

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro trims frills, prices for new Lawn-Boys to woo consumers

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

I would take the LB 10640 just because it's a different color than the Toro. The Honda engine would be fine for most yards, but I'm thinking the B&S for yours. Not only does it have 6.5 HP compared to 5.5 HP for the GCV 160, but will most likely be a tougher engine. I like the Honda OHC engines and spent some pretty good money to get the GSV 190 on my LB commercial, and I had a GCV 160 for several years. I just like the B&S for your application - kind of a gut feeling, I guess. The LB 10640 is part of the 'new for 2009' line, and the deck is sort of a cross between the Insight series deck and the Toro Recycler. It does have the 'Easy-Turn' front wheels. It should be a solid mower for you. They still produce the other LB models, but I guess HD is not carrying them. They really have some ultra-nice mowers in their line-up, like the 10795. I have never seen one of their 'Platinum' series mowers in a store of any kind. That's too bad, becuse even though they're $500, where else are you going to get the Honda GCV on an aluminum deck for that price?

• skotd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

From what I read in the article I posted, The Lawn-Boy was stealing sales from Toro at Home Depot.

"In 2007, Home Depot and Toro started seeing the Lawn-Boy line cannibalize sales from the Toro brand.

It was causing "some sales issues," Little said, and so Toro re-engineered the line at Home DepotÂs request to create more brand separation in this yearÂs lineup, Little said."

Thanks for you input Saxman. You are right, I just need a little beast of a mower that can take a beating and gobble up anything in its path. I am not to concerned with what it leaves behind. Nothing that another pass would not clear up!!

• skotd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I picked the Lawn Boy up tonight and was unloading it just as the neighbor came over to ask if I want the kid across the street to cut my yard. Perfect timing. When I got it home, It was very easy to unpack. Just had to remove the bag and a couple of cardboard inserts holding the wheels in place and it lifted right out. It is very light, one person job. Then attached the handle add gas and oil and a light pull brought it to life. first pull.
    The wheels adjusted easily in to the deck cut outs and was very easy to pull start. I adjusted the wheels to the highest setting because I moved in Dec 6th and this was the first cut since I moved in! I must say that this thing on the highest setting looked like a dune buggy and barley touched the grass. no prob on the old ground clearance. I knocked it down 2 notches and it made a medium cut with no issue. I then knocked it down to I think the 3rd lowest and made another pass, not because it left clippings but because I wanted it shorter. In all honesty, I probably could of done it in one pass, but wanted to break it in a little. Again, a surprisingly neat yard. It handled all the bumps well, but if you are not putting a little bit of downward pressure on the handle as you push the front end will bounce up just a little on rough spots. I attribute this to my bad extended form as a little fatigue set in and the units shot wheel base.
    oh ya and the kid across the street could not get his mower going, so I cut my neighbor's as well! Made $25 so the mower only cost $225 out the door. I would recommend this to anyone that wants a no fuss, tough little mower that plans to mulch because the bag looks on the small side.