Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn mower doesnt stay on

Posted by ectrey NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 18:08

Hi, I have a Toro 20017 22" Personal Pace for eight years now. It's been working fine ever since until now. When I pull the rope to start it, it starts but after 2-3 seconds, it dies out. Help, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn mower doesnt stay on

Old gas has probably turned to gum, blocking the jets in the carburetor. Did you leave gas in the mower over the winter?

Fix is to disassemble carburetor and boil out the jets in carb cleaner. I mean the cleaner that comes in a gallon can with a dip basket.

Your engine is a Tecumseh, and the repair kit for the carb is 632809 and your Toro dealer should be able to provide. Price should be about $7.00.

o

The easy fix is to remove the bottom brass bolt under the carb fuel bowl. First tip the mower up on its RH-side wheels so the carb is high. This is also the oil drain position. Never raise the other side unless all the oil and gas are out of the engine. Anyway, when you get tthe 'bolt' out, clean it up and make sure all holes are open. Pay attention to the tiny hole at the end of the threads that is on an angle - rod it out with the soft steel wire out of a wire tie off a loaf of bread, then blast it good with carb cleaner. After this, use STA-BIL 'Marine' fuel stabilizer (blue, super concentrate). Put it in your gas can every time you buy gas.

o

+1 on what saxman1 said. On that bolt, there are 4 holes that you can clean -- two at the bottom of the threads when the bolt is sitting on its head, one at the top of the shaft, and then the angled one at the top of the threads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here