Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carusoswi

Very strange blade wear

carusoswi
15 years ago

I was happily cutting with my 6431, picking up dead leaves from my patio when I went to empty the bag and caught a glimpse of my blade through the shoot. I was shocked to see that the trailing edge of the blade looked as though someone had carved a jagged "Nike swoosh" from the outside tip of the blade along the back or trailing edge. I turned the mower up on its side to have a better look and found the same erosion had occurred at both ends of the blade.

I took the blade to my local mower shop and the dealer matched it up with a new replacement which I bought and installed.

I have never seen that sort of wear on a blade before. Worse, I spent a lot of time under the mower last weekend trouble shooting what turned out to be clogged exhaust ports. I had that blade off to get to the exhaust ports, and I just cannot believe that I would not have noticed such a weird erosion pattern. On the other hand, once I got her running right, I spent perhaps an hour and a half picking up a thick blanket of leaves from my blacktop drive way, and then, another half hour cutting through some tall grass in my front yard (first cut of the year). There is no way the blade could have incurred that much wear in two hours of use, so the erosion must have been present last weekend and I missed it (just hard to believe).

I asked the dealer what would have caused such odd, yet symmetrical wear. He says it happens with mowers used at the shore - caused by the sand.

I have only used my mower at my home - not at the shore. We have no sand. It only encounters leaves, twigs, and grass.

Anyone have any opinions as to the cause? I paid $20 for the new blade - don't know if that's a fair price or not, but, if I get 21 years out of it like I did the original, then, I will not complain (probably won't have a belly for complaining, especially about lawn mower blades in 21 years).

Thanks for any tips.

Caruso

Comments (11)

• krc22
    15 years ago

He's exactly right. I had a section of my property that was sand and had some wild grass that I would cut. More sand than grass. I took the blade off to get a 2nd one, and thought it was the wrong one because it was missing the two cut outs. My blades would last 4-5 years, tops on my Lawn-Boy.

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

This is normal wear on the 'lift' foil on blades, and is what sends most hi-lift blades to the trash can. When the foil gets to 1/16" at the thinnest area, it is off my mower and in the trash. I do not want pieces of that foil leaving my mower at 300 feet per second. Yes, it happens fast in sandy soil, but just cutting too close in regular soil will also do it, as well as mulching up leaves which have a fair amount of grit on them. Fortunately for all of us, mower blades are VERY ductile steel and tend to not shatter or break into pieces. Even so, when that foil gets too thin it probably would break off if you picked up a fairly good-sized rock.

• nevada_walrus
    15 years ago

{{gwi:128512}}

This is pretty extreme but if the split is what you have, yes to what the others have said. It's called sand blasting but doesn't need sand. Any kind of dry dirt will do it. If you ever get into a cloud of dust, this sort of action is happening to the blade.

This doesn't happen with one mowing but it is conceivable it was badly worn and ready to be opened up when you were working on it. The last heavy debris mowing just washed out what was probably foil thin metal.

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

The blade pictured is an extreme example for sure! Also, notice that the blade is sharpened improperly. Instead of taking the edge back into the blade, all manufacturers recommend angling the cut so the blade loses no width at the start of the edge. Once the blade gets down to 1" wide at the end, not counting the lift foil, the blade is to be removed. Of course, by that time the lift foil is going to be long since worn out anyway!

• carusoswi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I do use the mower in lieu of a vacuum on hard surfaces around my home - ably takes the place of a separate vacuum - set deck height to lowest setting with bag in place. Very effective. Perhaps there is some grit on the street when I pick up my cuttings, or on my driveway.

I definitely have some shaded out areas where little grass grows, but many leaves fall.

I wonder why I never saw this sort of wear on my three-blade 42" Yardman Rider (same vintage as my LB).

Anyhow, given a choice, I'll keep on using the mower the way I do and just plan on replacing the blade every (uh-hum) 20 years or so. That should do it.

Caruso

• Tom777
    9 years ago

I have a 42 inch Troy Bilt Bronco lawn tractor.....I have been cutting almost 3 acers for about three years. I have to replace a blade after cutting the grass three times....the blade gets sand blasted until there is nothing there. That is a little tractor for as much grass I am cutting......I'm fixing to order a bigger one.....Troy Bilt Super Bronco XP 50 inch cut. If I only had to replace the blades once a year, I would be a happy man with a thicker wallet!

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

Again, it is normal wear and happens with or without sand or dirt abrasion. It just happens quicker under some circumstances, so all mower users need to look for it when servicing the blade or getting under the mower for any other reason.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

In some applications there are sand blades available aftermarket, such as OEP. They are ultra low lift blades that do not generate near as much air flow . Obviously, no good for bagging. Cheers to 2008 :)

• Kurt Larsen
    last year

Funny he described it as a Nike Swoosh. Both the blades on my John Deere Z 345 have the same wear pattern on the ends. I do have a lot of sand on the 3/4 acre I mow but I was surprised there was this much wear after only six or seven mowings, although I do also drop the deck down and use it as a vacuum on my large driveway. And these are not even high-lift blades. If the photo isn't showing, the wear is a big cut-out that is shaped like the Nike Swoosh and it is on the corner opposite the cutting edge on each end of each blade.

• Kurt Larsen
    last year

• Kurt Larsen
    last year