Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toro Recycler will start but dies quickly

Posted by catskillet NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 18:33

We are renting a house. The homeowner left his Toro Recycler here for us to use so I don't know how old it is. We only used the mower once last year and after that we paid a guy with a riding mower to cut. We want to cut the lawn ourselves this year as the mower is self-propelled and anyway why not? I (the wife) cut the grass last week. We topped up the gas and the mower started okay....it conked out a few times while I was mowing but I managed to get the large yard mowed. Today...the mower starts up after priming but it sounds like it needs to throttle faster and dies out. It needs to be primed each and every time we go to start it. I cleaned the air filter (probably need to buy a new one though) my husband says it sounds like it's the lawn mower isn't getting enough gas. He wants to get some of that gas cleaner additive. I said I thought the gas was maybe too old since we only used it once last year and he says he doesn't think it could be the gas. Any suggestions before I take it to a lawnmower shop? I can't even get 20 feet mowed without it dying. Neither one of us knows anything about motors or engines.

If someone is going to tell me that it's probably the gas and to change it....how do I now that the tank is full?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toro Recycler will start but dies quickly

You have to change out the gas and use a fuel stabilizer at all times - put it in the gas can before filling it at the station. Search on here for Tecumseh and find instructions for pulling the orice bolt out of the carb fuel bowl and cleaning it. If you pull it with the mower sitting on its wheels, all gas will drain from the hole - have a pan or something to catch it. You can put it in your car gas tank - that small amount of stale gas in the car won't hurt anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here