Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Mower Trouble Starting

Posted by jeitzen none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 18:44

I have read through may great posts here and have applied cleaning out the carb on my CRaftsman 5.0 Lawn Mower.

When I try to start it It wont start with the Air Filter attached. If I take it off and partially cover the air intake with my thumb, I can get it to start and stay running. Remove my thumb and it quits.
I just completely redid the carb.. replaced the fuel line etc.

Thanks

Jeff E

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Mower Trouble Starting

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 21:27

Your carburetor jets need cleaning. What is the model number of the engine. Or is it a Briggs or Tecumseh engine.

o

Yes.. Correct on that. Cleaned out the lower jet and reinstalled and it started right up. Now it surges... Not like its starving for fuel.. More like. .. run smooth for 90 seconds.. stall... recover...
Its not consistent either. The Mower is 20 years old and when I had the carb off I could see lots of carbon build up. Maybe a valve issue..
Once in a while it puts out blue smoke too... Not huge amounts.. but more than usual.

Thanks.. and than you Baymee for the response!

Jeffe

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 18:24

Take a look at this. It's probably a /Tecumseh motor and this is an article about an extreme cleaning, but there is more to your carb than the bowl nut. It's not always necessary to remove the Welch plug if you can get there through the bottom passage or the idle jet hole.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower/msg061726346162.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here