Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgarden_gw

Cub Cadet recalls riding lawnmowers due to fire hazard

dreamgarden
13 years ago

FYI.

"Cub Cadet has recalled approximately 4,300 riding lawnmowers due to a fire hazard. MTD Consumer Group Inc, of Cleveland, Ohio, manufactured the mowers.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, a fuel leak can occur near the rear mounting screws on the bottom of the fuel tank, posing a fire hazard. No injuries have been reported so far........"

A link that might be useful:

msbusiness.com/blog/2011/04/cub-cadet-

recalls-riding-lawnmowers-due-to-fire-hazard/

Comments (7)

• rdaystrom
    13 years ago

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: recall link

• hotrodpapa
    9 years ago

Cub Cadet LTX1050 Fire….<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This is a photo of my 2 year old cub cadet. I need
    everyone’s help locating any other people that have had this happen to their
    mower. While mowing I noticed some smoke coming from the engine area and
    stopped to look. When I raised the cowling, the top, front of the engine was on
    fire. Before I could get anything to help put it out, all the plastic had
    caught fire and there was no putting that out. I contacted the Cub Cadet
    customer support and they were very nice and helpful until I heard this was NOT
    going to be under warranty. Seems they have never seen such a thing and said it
    was more than likely a bird nest under the carburetor, near the exhaust pipe.
    This nest must have caught fire causing a malfunction in the fuel system which
    then feed gas to the fire. How many birds would build a nest 8” off the ground
    in a piece of equipment that is used every week? It was also mentioned that I
    could prove otherwise, so their best guess is a new mower is less than a lawyer
    (great company policy). What ever happened to helping a customer in a weird
    circumstance?

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

• romore_gw
    9 years ago

OUCH, that hurts!!! Glad you are alright. You would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a manufacturing defect caused the fire which is going to be very difficult to say the least. Unfortunately your chances of winning a suit are somewhere between slim and none. I notice the recall is four years old and only applies to certain zero turns.

• hotrodpapa
    9 years ago

my thought is why would i cause my tractor to catch fire just to fight with them? Life has enough normal issues without creating any.

• jb2c
    8 years ago

I do believe Cub just took a hit by not offering you good customer service on a 2 year old mower. I'm in the market for a riding mower and Cub was one of the four brands I'm looking at. I'll file this little mental note away when making my decision on which brand to go with.

• hotrodpapa
    8 years ago

I am now opting for the next level up whick there is only one brand that makes mowers-tractors that are not large tractors but larger than all the brands sold at Home Depot, Tractor Supply and such. John Deere has liquid cooled, built from steel, with attachments yard tractors that should last. However they are double the cost but that does not bother me as my cadet has cost me double if i go back and buy another one with the fire detail possible for sure.

Stay safe out there !!

• jb2c
    8 years ago

I'm looking hard at Craftsman and Husqv myself. The Craftsman YT4000 looks like a solid choice.