Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lawn boy model 8480

Posted by backdraft341 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 18:55

i picked up a mower at a garage sale. im not getting any fire. im suspect it could be the coil. what is the engine break ass. are there any other type of kill switches on this mower. also does anyone know the hp. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lawn boy model 8480

The Flywheel brake is the only kill switch, That one is an early design and I feel that it could be bad but more than likely its the CD pack a.k.a the coil.
Those are neat and hard to find mowers not many around like that. Those were reffered to as "suburban" mowers with the big gas tank. They can be considered commercial mowers.

Stens makes a CD pack for the mower, they cost in the thirty to forty dollar range. Or you can get one at the dealer for probably more. As for the switch you need to test it first to see if its bad. If so I'm not sure if its still available but it may be.
The H.P. would be in the 4 to 4 1/2 range. If its running at 3300 RPM. You have an "F" series engine, one of the best and most simple to repair.

Neal

o

thanks neal. how can i test the switch or by pass it. maybe if i can by pass it i would know if its the coil or not.

o

The only "switch" is a kill switch that shorts out the ignition. Just unplug the wire to it.

Walt Conner

o

Sorry, been "out" for awhile. Do you know how to test for continuity? Do you have a simple continuity tester? If not I guess you can do as Walt suggests and try unplugging it.

More than likelly its the coil, but there is that "chance" factor. Although I've never had a bad switch.

Neal

o

Is that the semi-commercial with the large black gas tank?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here