Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gdhurst_gw

No Sparks/just quit

gdhurst
10 years ago

I have a craftsman 42" cut riding mower with a 24HP BS Twin engine. 917. 273461 I started it up and took it out of the shed this morning. This afternoon I went to start it up to put it back and it would crank but not start. I pulled the plugs and cleaned them and I know it is getting gas. I checked both plugs and could not get either to spark. I cleaned the magneto points and tried again to no avail. I also checked to see if the coils are getting voltage but am not sure what reading I should get. I can't imagine it being anything serious but I have no information to go on regarding wiring, switches etc. that may be interrupting the coil circuit.

Comments (8)

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Your coils should not get any voltage. A ground is sent to them to kill the spark. If you were to unsnap the harness as it feeds to the engine, and you have spark when you crank it- then something in chassis is sending a ground signal to the coil. If it does fire, it won't for long as the carb solenoid will not be receiving power.That should help isolate the issues at least if it is chassis or engine related.

• walt2002
    10 years ago

"I cleaned the magneto points"

Not sure what you mean by this. IF you are talking about the laminets and flywheel magnet, cleaning them will do nothing.

I would disconnect both "Kill Wires" from the base of the coils and see if you have fire. IF so, problem in Kill Wire Harness.

Walt Conner

• gdhurst
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will check this tomorrow, what if I unplug the harness and still have no spark? Can't lose both coils at once.

• gdhurst
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay. Unplugged coils and cranked, no spark. Bypassed seat switch. No spark. Recharged battery. Unplugged
    harness heard fuel solenoid drop out. Cranked, no spark. Man I need a service manual and wiring schematic for this thing.... lol....

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Engine should be a Briggs 446777-0246-E1

There is a schematic on page 33/56 of the Owners Manual.

Anything that grounds the "M" terminal of the key switch will kill spark.
    Hopefully, you didn't try jumping 12V to the coils. You'll "fry" them.

"Bypassed seat switch"
    Just exactly HOW did you do that.
    Most likely your "method" is PREVENTING spark.
    So will disconnecting the plug to it.

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 16:24

• gdhurst
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well not to worry I have not connected 12 volts directly to coils. I am really getting an education though. I unplugged the seat switch and jumped the connectors in the plug, not the seat side. It's kinda funny I work on HVAC systems all day and cars as a hobby but this thing is kickin my butt... Of course having no manuals or anything to go by is a bit of a pain. I disconnected the coils as suggested and got no spark. I unplugged the plug that feeds them and the fuel solenoid as suggested and no sparks. The fuel solenoid works I can hear it click.
    I appreciate the help. Anything else I can check would be great. Thank you.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Jumping the seat switch connector grounds the coils.
    As I mentioned previously, ANYTHING that GROUNDS the "M" terminal of the key switch kills spark.

The wires to the coil are GROUNDED to kill spark.

• gdhurst
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I want to thank you all for the advice. Everything is cleaned up, inspected and attached. Went out and purchased a new Battery (old one was an autolite brand) Got my new one at Lowes after reading the poor reviews on the old brand. Installed the new battery and this thing runs better than it has since I bought it used last year.