Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn mower runs for 3 seconds then dies...

Posted by weigojmi (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 19:18

Hello,

My 5 yr old B&S 4.5HP push mower ran OK for a few mowings this year but now has this problem. I replaced the spark plug and air filter, no luck. Then realized I was using year old gas so drained the gas and filled with new. Primed the heck out of it, and it started like normal...then it died again. I also notice a little bit of gas leaking out of the primer when pushed but no gas in or around the air filter. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jamie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn mower runs for 3 seconds then dies...

It would be good to know model and spec #s of the engine. or at the very least if this engine has the carb mounted to the top of the fuel tank or if it is a bowl type.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 5:31

If the carb is mounted to the top of the gas tank, the diaphragm is suspect. If bolted to the side of the engine, away from the tank, it's main jet or internal varnish related.

o

This could be my machine, so I'd best be sympathetic.
Varnish is quite the problem...what is the best solvent for this substance ?
I am a user of spray carb cleaner, but I also have some acetone and some mineral spirits..
Gasoline, even as expensive as it is, is still inexpensive as a cleaner.

o

OK I'll get more engine details when I get home. But I have to confess I'm quite the newb regarding this carbeurator and diaphram talk. If you can be more specific about what to look for to clarify your questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the replies...and patience.

o

@tom, rereading your post, I think I answered your question:

Briggs & Stratton, 4.5HP, 5 yr old push mower...do you also need model# from the engine?

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 19:07

No, just if the carb is mounted to the top of the gas tank.

To earthworm, the best cleaner is a soaking type carb cleaner in a basket, such as NAPA sells. Gasoline won't clean varnish and spraying carb cleaner works sometime, but mostly they have to be soaked and thoroughly cleaned.

o

I suppose the carb is not mounted to the top? Please advise...

Top cover is removed...

o

Personally, I always prefer to have the Model & Type number in order to precisely identify the engine.

Most likely, the carb bowl is held on with a BRASS NUT.
THAT is the Main Jet.
It'll have TINY hole(s)drilled in it.
The hole(s) are clogged.

o

Blasted carb cleaner all over the carb and blew out what I could and it runs great now. Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here