Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
22" toro gts 6.5 not starting. Tried cleaning jet

Posted by projectss none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 19:23

I bought this lawn mower used today. I was told it was in storage for a while. Sometimes i have a hard time turning it on then it shuts off a couple of seconds later or a minute. I can keep it on, priming it. After i stop priming it shuts off.

So I tried cleaning the jet. All three holes are clear. I cleaned the spark plug which was in bad shape.

Float seems to have little cracks and it didnt come with a air filter. I did empty the gas tank and put in new gas in it. I also blew some nitrogen through the carb. ( i use the nitrogen at work to clean refrigerant lines).

The hose that goes from carb to top of the block is torn.

Can the torn hose(breather) or cracked float cause these problems?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 22" toro gts 6.5 not starting. Tried cleaning jet

I would replace the needle and seat kit, the seals on the emulsion tube, fuel line, float and if the bowl is corroded on the edge- replace that as well. Yes on replacing the breather hose, plug and air filter too. It will not directly cause the runabilty condition- but will shorten the life of the engine further. That is if the screws that retain the filter base are there as they need to be installed to prime and run up well.

o

basically this ebay kit plus the breather and fuel hose?

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay carb, spark, filter kit

o

I guess you could. If it was really an OEM carburetor as described it would be a heck of a deal. The Tecumseh distributor puts list on the carb at $73. Even if it wasn't an OEM, it may be fine - though future service parts could be different. The thought occurred to me that you could also order a head gasket while you are sprucing this up and clean up the combustion chamber.

o

When you cleaned the metering bolt, are you sure you rodded out the smallest one with the wire from a small wire tie?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here