Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snake in lawn mower

Posted by duscarter SC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 19:31

Just got done mowing the grass. Looked at the deck as I was getting off the mower, and saw a snake. I whacked his head off to make sure it was dead, and now need some advice.

Can you identify it? I think it is a rattle snake, but can't see the tail yet.

How do I remove the body from the belt system?

Thank You,

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snake in lawn mower

It is a Troy Bilt Pony riding lawnmower. Thanks.

o

Well put on a pair of gloves and carefully pull the body out of the belt system. I don't know what it is for sure, looks like a canebreak rattlesnake but the pointy head tells me that it's poisonous so be careful with the head.

o

hog nose?

o

I plan on trying to pull it out, but didn't think it would be possible. The snake couldn't get out, so I figure it is stuck in there pretty good.

Thought someone on here might have seen something like this before. Do you think it was in the belt system when I started it? I have to back it out and drive a little before I engage the blade. That was a close one.

I used a shovel to dispose of the head.

o

Now I will have to look for snakes on my mower decks. Yuck. I had several mowers parked behind my house on the sidewalk. They were fairly close to bird feeders where there are lots of sunflowers seeds. Other than birds the seeds attracted a few field mice or rats. Yuck. One saw me and ran for cover under the mowers. Big mistake. I pulled the rope on my "M" series Lawn-Boy...no more rat.

o

you are going to have to remove the shields off the deck belt to get him out. do it somewhere you can hose things down, cause it will be messy.

he looks like a mocassin to me, i usually kill a couple each year in a similar manner.

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 16:57

that might be my worst nightmare, I'll never mow the lawn again!! OHMY

o

I was able to pull it out in pieces.

o

skin it, cut it up into chunks, then fry it up in some butter. DELICIOUS!

o

Kinda looks like a copper head to me.

o

It was not a rattlesnake, but it was venomous. It was an Eastern Cottonmouth (aka "water moccasin").

I personally like all snakes and have a fondness for cottonmouths, but I realize that not everyone shares my viewpoint on this matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here