Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Briggs Power Problems

Posted by JTDRAFTER none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 20:09

I just got through doing my yearly tune up on my 10yr old 24hp mower. I installed E3 plugs and I did the normal service stuff. I went to mow and the engine runs like a top without the PTO engaged but when I turn on the PTO the engine seems weak. It bogs down easy and will barely pull the mower up a small hill. Could the E3 plugs be the problem ? I've adjusted my valves and checked my armature gap/fire and now I'm at a loss.

I'm changing out the plugs tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem when they installed these plugs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Briggs Power Problems

Well, you'll know if it's the plugs when you change them.

A couple other things could cause your symptoms-
Lack of air-
Lack of fuel.
Are both those filters changed?
I'd forgotten how much a new air filter can affect power output. I swapped in a new one recently and the difference UNDER LOAD was just so apparent. They get dirty relatively slowly, and you just don't notice the gradual decrease in performance. It "seemed" the engine was running well. When I got into the thick, wet grass, it was like a new engine.

Ditto with a fuel filter.
Under load is when the governor opens up the throttle plate in the carb so that it can get more air and fuel.
IF either is restricted, performance suffers.

o

Well the first thing you need to do is post the engine model number so we know what engine we are talking about, 24 hp doesn't cut it.

I suspect it is a V twin Intek and you are running on one cylinder. IF so, the first thing I would do is pull the valve cover and make sure the pushrods, rocker arms, etc. are OK and working BUT since you say you adjusted the valves, I assume you have noticed it there was a problem there.

Next I would pull spark plugs and make sure BOTH pistons are going up and down.

IF all appears OK there, then I would suspect the "Kill Wire" harness. More on that if required.

Walt Conner

o

The model # is 446777 Type 0302E1

o

Since you were going to change out the plugs Sat., did that make a difference?

When you adjusted the valves, did you use the CORRECT procedure with the piston 1/4" ATDC?

o

I did adjust the valves with the piston 1/4" ATDC. I got tied up at work Sat. so I didn't get a chance to get back on it. I plan on changing them out this afternoon as soon as I get off work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here