Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
action13_gw

Toro commercial TV5002 This one has me nuts!

action13
15 years ago

Toro 2 cycle, TV5002, Proline engine, 122cc, Toro model # 22040, serial number# 8906747, Engine Family VSK122u121RA

Mower starts and runs ok, seems to stay running just fine, to test it I mower my front yard with it , maybe 45 minutes. Then after you shut it down, and go back to it 5 minutes later won't start. I have been through the carb top to bottom, complete rebuild including 45 minutes in my ultrasonic tank. New NGK plug, has a big blue spark and it jumps a 1/4 gap. This ones got me good. And yes have inspected the flywheel key. Assuming the compression is just fine or it wouldn't run at all. Have also checked for restricted muffler, intake and exhaust ports ect...Anyone had a problem like this with a 2 stroke Toro, with a Suzuki engine before?...Keep in mind I am a small engine mechanic and all the basic elementary things have been checked, and rechecked..Tom

Comments (10)

• canguy
    15 years ago

It sounds like a vapor lock. Is the fuel line routed close to a hot surface?

• action13
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not really......thats what I first suspected. But I have even tried starting fluid to rule that out...Tom

• indy452
    15 years ago

Have you checked the spark when It won't start?

I know you said you see a spark big and blue but does it still have the big blue spark after she won't start?

If she has spark then what about fuel when its hot? Is the spark plug wet with fuel when you crank the rope several times?
    Those mikuni carbs can be fussy even when ultra clean.

I have two of those commercial toro's and I absolutely love the cut and feel of the machine.

Drives a guy nuts when these things happen huh?

Neal

• action13
    Original Author
    15 years ago

NUTS is an understatement, this mower has been to 3 Toro dealers in the past 2 weeks, each time the customer was told it was fixed each time had the same problem. I have even shot it with starting fluid when hot, no help. I have checked the spark but wondering if I have been fooled by a WEAK spark, and took if for a GOOD spark, thats my course of attack today. This mower was running excellent for the customer when the season closed on cutting last year (he is a commercial cutter) he dropped it of to have it serviced right after the season, giving the shop (not my shop) plenty of time to have it, when he got it back is when this problem began. I just have in the back of my mind that just maybe they didn't realized it was a 2 stroke, and ran straight gas, and did ring or cylinder damage, just enough maybe that when it gets hot and things expand it won't start, and run. ....Tom

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

I wouldn't use starting fluid on a 2-cycle - it has no oil in it. If you use it and leave it like that, the rings could rust to the liner. Anyway, hot-start problems are usually related to fuel starvation, although it could also be the plug or coil. Since you get no 'pop' with starting fluid, I would look in the spark department. Your theory about the straight gas is invalid. Unless it was totally out of gas, putting straight gas in and running it for a few minutes probably wouldn't hurt anything because while the mixture would be diluted, it would still have oil in it at maybe 60:1. Now if it had straight gas put in a totally dry tank and carb, or on two consecutive fillings, it would only run for a little while before seizing. Since we know it runs and has enough power to mow, chances are good that the cylinder, piston and rings are not excessively worn.

• action13
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your wrong, compression can be lost after a short running period. A 2 stroke can start out at 120 psi and drop to less than a hundred when warm. Anything under 92psi is toast. The straight gas theory is not invalid, a 2 stoke on straight gas can seize in a matter of just a few minutes. A 2 stroke can use starting fluid for a initial start for just a few seconds to suck in gas, of course not to be kept running with. I did in fact finally find the problem, it is a crankcase leak....Tom

• jmherbert
    15 years ago

Sounds like a failing ignition coil. Have you checked the spark when motor is hot? They often will work fine when cold, but once hot, no sparky.

• cm86c4
    14 years ago

My late 80's Toro 2 cycle has the same problem. Runs, then does not.. tried starting fluid and nothing. Dealer belives it to be ignition coil, which is $180.00 plus labor. So I just bought a new 4 cycle recycler with personal pace drive. It is ok, but I would like to fix my old 2 cycle and use it as well. Any idea where that ignition coil can be purchased? I checked Ebay today, nothing. Thank you!

• JDale71_aol_com
    13 years ago

Im having the same problems and am tired of fooling/working on the engine. I want to replace the suzuki motor with a new 4 stroke. Has anyone done a different engine swap? Does anyone have any ideas on what would be a good 4 stoke for this deck and trany setup??

• Cj Smith
    7 years ago

i have one of those mowers my self change out the crank seals and problem solved