Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Murray riding lawn mower model 425001x8

Posted by robert_in_oklahoma none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 20:44

Ok, so I'll admit that I'm an idiot.

I wanted to replace the mower blades without having to remove the mower housing so I laid the mower on it's side and replaced the blades.

The mower won't start now.

I looked under the hood and realized that oil has gotten into the chamber where the air filter is. No telling where else it is, but I can't afford to pay someone to fix it.

I need detailed instructions on how to fix this problem.

Any takers out there...??? :)

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Murray riding lawn mower model 425001x8

The air filter is probably saturated, so count on replacing that.
Wipe out as much oil from the filter housing etc. that you can.

I'd remove the spark plug and crank the engine over for a bit to "blow out" any oil that MIGHT have drained into the cylinder.

Reinstall the spark plug.
Check oil level.

Hopefully, you're good to go.
Expect a LOT of smoke for a couple minutes.

o

That might work, except the engine doesn't turn over. When I turn the key, it just clicks like something is stuck. I'm pretty sure oil has leaked into the cylinder. I don't have a diagram of the engine, so I'm just guessing.

o

That might work, except the engine doesn't turn over. When I turn the key, it just clicks like something is stuck. I'm pretty sure oil has leaked into the cylinder. I don't have a diagram of the engine, so I'm just guessing.

o

Did you miss the part about-

"I'd remove the spark plug and crank the engine over for a bit to "blow out" any oil that MIGHT have drained into the cylinder. "

o

No, I didn't miss that part, except there is no spark plug. It's an electric start. I've been soaking up oil most of the day so now I'm looking for an engine manual to help me figure out a way to remove the affected parts and clean them, but the problem remains that the engine won't even turn over when I turn the key.

Thanks!

o

Is this a Diesel? Diesels don't have spark plugs. But if you put gasoline in the fuel tank then you need a spark plug to ignite the gas once it is compresse by the piston.

o

IF you can't find the spark plug, you really should have someone else fix this!

o

Silly me...I always assumed the spark plug was easy to see. LOL

I found it, removed it, will replace it, along with the oil tomorrow and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

o

Well, I took your advice and now the mower is back to normal. Thanks so much.

P.S. This was my first attempt at fixing a mower, so excuse me for being a little dumb. LOL

o

Well, You kind of covered yourself with the opening line in your first post---

Glad it's working!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here