Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a overflowing carburetor cause this?

Posted by shillnav none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 21:29

Can a carburetor not shutting off fuel flow, filling the cylinder with gas,flowing into the oil---- cause a blown head gasket???

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a overflowing carburetor cause this?

It can finish the job if it had already started to blow through. Many times, OHV engines start off with a fine pin hole between the cylinder and the valve or oil return galley.

o

Sure. The cylinder gets some liquid gas/oil in it and you hit the 'start' button. Liquids are not compressible, so the piston stops hard. This is called 'hydraulic lock'. I can see how it could blow a head gasket especially with an electric starter.

o

Thanks for the replies !!

o

I would be happy if a gasket blew to relieve a hydro-lock. Next in line would be a bent rod.

o

I forgot to mention - you can accomplish the same thing on a mower in perfect condition by simply standing it up on it's wheels with the carburetor side down. Always tilt it up with the carb on the high side, like you would to dump the oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here