Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
set48

Lawn tractor

SET48
9 years ago

I'm looking for a new lawn mower to cut my lawn. I have about an acre of grass that is nothing but hills with many obstacles. I will only use this to cut grass. I have an atv for any other yard work. I was looking at craftsman, cub cadet, and john deere. I'm unsure what mower to get due the hills. I had a craftsman lawn tractor that just quit after almost fifteen years of use. Any suggestions appreciated thanks

This post was edited by SET48 on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 14:25

Comments (6)

• baymee
    9 years ago

You might be a perfect candidate for a ZTR. Now some are made to operate with a foot pedal.

• SET48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I use zero turns at work on fields and along creek beds but I would be worried about side hills and steeper slopes. My coworker did a wheelie with a JD 60" zero turn on flat land it was pretty funny lol

• SET48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do I need to get a garden tractor because of the hills or should I be fine with a lawn tractor or does any one else have any suggestions? I would love to get a zero turn but I think the hills would screw me

• ENVY23
    9 years ago

Are you set on a rider? Personally, I prefer a walk-behind for a lot of hills or obstacles, and since you will only be using it for mowing and nothing else I would look into it. You can get a 2-wheel sulky to stand on. Whenever you get on a steep hill or a tricky spot you can get off and walk with it, then get back on and ride once you clear that area.

• SET48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm set on a rider just because of the convenience. I have been using a craftsman mower for the past 8 years so I'm comfortable with using a tractor. I talked to my local john deere dealer and he told me I should stay away from a ztr and go with a tractor either a 100 or 300 series. Any advice on what kind to get or should I get a craftsmen tight turn which is cheaper than the deere?

• ENVY23
    9 years ago

Ok, just asking. Most of my experience on my ZTR Z655, or tractors I've had in the past is the rear wheel sliding when descending really steep hills(not sure how steep yours are) and tearing the grass up. That along with side hills is why I prefer a walk behind. As for a tractor, I would look into the Deere X320. (I'm bias toward Deere as I've owned several of their agricultural tractors, lawn mowers, etc. See below.)

Whenever I buy something, a mower, car, etc., I look past the actual product and consider who I'm purchasing it from. I'm prefer to buy from a dealer that offers excellent service before and after the sale. I had warranty work on my Z655 and the Deere dealer came out, picked it up, had it repaired within a reasonable time frame, and brought it back. That's something you can't really get from a place like Home Depot. So I would definately factor the dealer's customer service into your purchase.