Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skbhonda216

Timing belt installation on a Honda HRT 216 push mower 5.5hp

skbhonda216
17 years ago

Hello everyone. Please excuse me for barging in with a question since I'm brand new to this site but I really could use some help!

I have a Honda HRT 216 push mower that I'm trying to install the timing belt properly. Problem is I can't find a timing mark on the crank to index it to so the valve timing is correct. Since I've done quite a few Honda automobiles timing belts, I recognize the two dash marks on the cam pully(Honda trait) that you align level with the head but I cannot find a mark to align the crank. Does anyone know where I should look for this? Also, the timing belt seems a bit loose but this maybe normal for this engine????

Thank you for any help.

Darryl

Comments (7)

• fix_it
    17 years ago

I have no idea if this is right or not, but I'll take a guess. Most AUTOMOTIVE engines put the crank at #1 cyl TDC. I don't know if this applies to the mower engine or not.

• bill_kapaun
    17 years ago

Well, the good thing is you can be 180 deg. out and it won't matter:-)
    Hopefully Nevada Walrus will chime in. I think he might have some experience with them.
    Go to the Wal mart Honda thread. He posted there. You can click on his name and email him.

Just curious- how did you end up having to....

• skbhonda216
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks I email him and ask.

I always wondered how anyone could bend a crank by hitting something with the blade well now I'm one of them. I was in a rush, mowing as fast as that thing would go. I knew there is a stump at the tree line but on that unfortunate day, whamm. I did a bone head maneuver. Wide open and it stopped instantly! Talk about a sick feeling. So bought a crank $39 and two seals $10 and got to work. Just need to figure out where that mark is on the crank.
    For those of you wondering what I think of the mower(4 yrs old now). It has run excellent everytime, every year I've owned it. Starts first pull everytime, even after being winterized. It does surge a little if the temps are down in the 40's but goes away after 30-45 seconds when it warms up. No oil leaks, no burning oil. I never have had to add oil even after the whole summer has past. So I give it a thumbs up.

• montesa_vr
    17 years ago

Nevada Walrus is definitely the Honda guru on this forum.

According to the shop manual, the crankshaft key groove is supposed to face "up" (the illustration shows the engine oriented vertically.) The cam pulley alignment marks are supposed to be "in line with the cylinder head cover mating surface."

Hope that helps.

• skbhonda216
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help. Nevada Walrus has explained exactly how to set and check the timing. Thanks again!!!!

Darryl

• rollerzeke
    17 years ago

Hello all.

Hi skbhonda216. I hope you get your Honda operational.

My questions are, did you only spend $49 for your repair parts?

Was there any damage to the original timing belt or the OHC valvetrain?

There have been comments on this forum about how expensive the Honda mower parts are.

Good day.

• rollerzeke
    17 years ago

Hello all.

Hi skbhonda216. Are you up and running with your Honda HRT 216 push mower?

Good day.