Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peterdon

Mower Rust

peterdon
13 years ago

My Sears Craftsman (2002) 944 has rust on top body and as much as I want to keep it there is a hole which will only be getting larger. So I have decided to purchase a new mower asap. How do you prevent rust? After using I hosed the top and underside and left the mover out on the lawn to self-dry before putting in the garden shed. Did I need to dried it with a rag or old-towel.

Comments (16)

• chesapeakebeach
    13 years ago

The best place to store a mower to ensure long life is in a garage. I've always suspected that temperature and humidity variations in sheds, under tarps, etc. cause condensation that contributes to rust. Opinions seem to be split on the wisdom of spraying off mowers with water -- some say it encourages rust, others say it's a good idea and ensures proper air flow under the deck and prevents wet grass from getting stuck to the deck and trapping moisture there. The advent of hose-out ports on mower decks seems to imply that manufacturers encourage using water to keep a deck clean. Mowers are designed to last 7 years; if your machine is a 2002 model, you got your money's worth and more.

• baymee
    13 years ago

Why not cover the hole and keep the mower until you have a REAL problem? I've had a hole in my deck for a few years and when I get tired of it, I'll weld it.

Since I work on mowers, I'll advise you that your 2002 model is probably built 3 times stronger than the box store brands of 2010. Mowers that are 2-3 years old have flexed bodies, wheels falling off and bent handles.

• peterdon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am frighten that I might not see a stone of branch and that could come throught the hole and hit me.
    Wife had suggested I put cardboard over hole and tape down with duct-tape. I am not mechanically incline.

• baymee
    13 years ago

The deck is thin gauge steel. Have someone put a piece of steel over the hole and rivet it in place. Making sure it is nowhere near the blade.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

An 8 year old mower with a rusted through hole in the deck? Its the mower stored outside near the beach? Or do you use a lot of chemicals on the lawn?

• chesapeakebeach
    13 years ago

I'd think the risk of having a tiny stone or branch come through a small hole in the deck and hit you pales in comparison to the risk of the blade pitching a piece of something (glass, metal, cable, etc.) through the bag and having it stab you in the leg. Either way, I wouldn't be too concerned.

• mvron
    13 years ago

I've always stored my mowers in a garage - better than anywhere outside. Never had a rust problem. I used to use water to clean the underside of the deck. If you do, run the mower a few minutes to help dry it off. I use my leaf blower now to clean the deck. I have a VERY old Honda HRC216. No holes. The mower is very heavy - but bullet proof.

• Kenneth Parker
    6 years ago

is it good to have some rust to be on the inside of the cerebrater

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

kenneth, no. sounds like your mower was stored with fuel present. carbs are cheap in most cases, what type of mower do you have? brand, model.

• Kenneth Parker
    6 years ago

it is a toro 6.5

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

hi, you probably have a tecumseh engine. your easiest fix is to replace the carb. under 25.00 shipped. easy swap, run like new. for example

https://www.amazon.com/XLJOY-Carburetor-Recycler-Lawnmower-Tecumseh/dp/B01IN63GR6

• Kenneth Parker
    6 years ago

yep i got that one but i think that it is the spark plug wire because i checked if it sparked and it did not

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

was the mower sitting out in the weather? if it's something you want to save, and feel like messing with it coils for those are cheap.

TECUMSEH 34443D IGNITION COIL SOLID MODULE TORO CRAFTSMAN YARDMAN 6.75HP 6.5HP

• Kenneth Parker
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

ya i found one on amazon for 13 dalliers i just got the cerebrater today but now i have to get the ignition coil.

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

that coil description i left in the above reply is around 20.00. if thats your problem, 40.00 to get it up and running isn't bad. probably couldn't get another 1 for that? good luck.

• Kenneth Parker
    6 years ago

ok