Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda HR214 SX rebuild help

Posted by Lawnman8 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 22:45

I have a Honda that was suspected of having a cracked case.The friend I got it from said he let a neighborhood kid mow his lawn for $$ and when he finished the lawnmower was covered in oil and the kid had no explanation. He also said for the first time in the 20 years he owned the mower it wouldn't start. I got it started, but only by holding the BBC on. when it was running, the bbc wouldn't shut off(roto handle released). It also gushed out copious amounts of oil near the fill plug.Upon further inspection, we determined the kid hit something b/c the blade had huge nicks in it and the metal piece directing grass to the bag was almost completely busted off. Well I finally got it apart yesterday to find a 6" rip in the case gasket right were I suspected the leak was. My question is this; is the clutch "broken" from being hit by the unknown object, because it looked fine when I took it off and cleaned all the parts. On the same ?, what would cause it to not disengage, and what would need to be replaced? when it was together, the cable moved freely, and something on the clutch did move when the Roto handle was engaged/disengaged.

Relating to this rebuild I am in the process of, is anyone aware of online torque and clearance specs for this mower? I want to make sure there is no bearing or crankshaft wear before I just replace the gasket.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here