Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gfc56

What is my Sears Craftsman yard tractor worth

gfc56
12 years ago

I have a lightly used Sears YS-4500 42", 6 spd, with 20 hp Kohler pro. I purchased this in 2009 for $1200. It is in perfect running and cosmetic condition. I just do not use it enough to warrant keeping it. I prefer to keep my lawn mowed with my Honda push mower. I want to list it for sale on craigslist. I do not want to ask too much, or too less.

http://www.mysears.com/Craftsman-20-hp-42-in-Deck-Yard-Tractor--359791-reviews?tab=details

Comments (45)

• gfc56
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops meant to post above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Yard Tractor

• ewalk
    12 years ago

I would think $900.00 would be a fair asking price for a two yr old tractor / mower . Not less than $750.00 unless you know something we don't lol .

• bluemower
    12 years ago

Clean it up so it looks like showroom. Park it on the corner with a "for sale". sign. Ask a premium price ($875)and see what happens. You can always lower the price. Now is the prime time to offer this.

I purchased about a dozen mowers that were about 7 - 8 years old. I paid $100 - $150 for MTD and had difficulty selling for $300.00. I paid up to $300 for Craftsman and usually sold them for about $500.00. All were serviced and cleaned up like showroom. One craftsman had the 46 cubic inch opposed twin and was real clean - $700.00.

Most people who have premium dollars will simply buy a new mower. Our friends who look for a used mower are usually on a very limited budget. About 50% of the original price is what they are willing to pay.

• gfc56
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the solid advice everyone. I was thinking no less than $700.00. I can afford to wait for a good offer. The mower is in brand new condition.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Well there you go Haste makes Waste , Good Decision !

• dberschet
    7 years ago

How much is an LT400 craftsman riding mower worth?

• nzb6jr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a '05 Craftsman LT1000 tractor I bought slightly used from my local Sears outlet in 2006. Apparently someone bought it and after a couple months decided they didn't want it. Weird. But I made an offer on the tractor (it had a flat tire) and I saved about $200 off the cost of a comparable new one. Plus this tractor came with grass catching bins and rear bin rack and spare mulching blades. I recently moved and my brother-in-law gave me his Craftsman garden tractor (one-year-newer than mine). So my question is what should I list my tractor for? It features 42" deck, B&S 18 hp, auto trans and can mow in forward or reverse. It's been a great tractor with few issues; arguably it's better than the one I got from my brother-in-law. Thoughts?

• ssewalk1
    7 years ago

Most likely $500 - $600 bucks since you have some xtras !

• Shanna Neely
    6 years ago

I'm looking at a 2005 GT5000 Craftsman mower and it has had the engine rebuilt. How much do you think it's worth?

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

no more than $500.00

• lastrella
    6 years ago

I am selling a Sears Craftsman LT1000 42" mulching mower (2004) in very good condition. I just had it tuned up(as sat awhile during my husband's illness) put on a new battery, blade, air filter & oil change & filter; ran out the old gas. The 50% off original is about $650 plus I just spent over $100 in tuning it up. I WANT to SELL it! Is $650 to $750 too much to ask? It is all paid for - just don't want it to sit. Want to move it at my lawn & garden, etc. sale.

• landmarkpb
    6 years ago

Ok My YT 2007 3000 has a bad engine and I need to get rid of it what should I ask for it?

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

$150 OBO for Parts .

• upup_and_away
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

bluemower - $300ish??? In a Chicago suburb there was\is a business where when i stopped by for a part, i inquired whats up with the row of Sears riders. The owner says they are to be scrapped cuz only mowers painted green sell used. I got 2 for $50 each and both ran just that the last owner screwed with them and reassembled them wrong.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

up up what are you smoking a 10 yr old mower with a bad engine ? Good luck with that lol .

• upup_and_away
    6 years ago

I'm saying that bluemower may have been able to get them for less, not what the seller can get. The ones I bought back in 2000ish had no major problem that's why i bought them - 1 last owner fiddled with and did not reassemble the overhead lifter rods properly so the valves didn't open, the other one valve just needed to be reground. So neither ones i looked at had "bad" motors and just needed small repairs.

Like i said- when u compare apples to apples, green paint will get u more when selling leaving people like me who get (and still own\use) 80's sears riders for the $50 i paid 16 years ago. So people who pay 300 for a used sears are not up to speed with what they could get it for if u know where to look or are patient.

So like i said, similar JD's that have the same grade of construction and use the same motors thus similar problems but because they are green, certain market will pay more for them so that dealer only sells used JD's just like i get Stihl stuff for $20 and typically can get $100- 99% of the time a dirty carb problem. Good luck doing the same with a sears trimmer.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

Sorry thought you were referring to landmarks Lt . Bluemowers post is over 7 yrs ago . Have not seen him on the site in yrs lol. Yes some people see Green and think quality not really true some Box Store JD,s are junk !

• upup_and_away
    6 years ago

Oh, didnt look... well then my post is about as good as talking to the wall. :-P

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

NP Bud ! Been there lol.

• John Sigsbury
    6 years ago

I'm moving and need to sell a Sears Garden Tractor model #917.986450, 26 hp Kohler, 54" deck, power assist poly cart and a front mounted 42" snow blower. Have chains, weights, and replacement blades as well. Only 51 hours on the tractor. Any advice would be appreciated.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago
    • Probably $1500.00 since you have the extras with relative low hours . If really clean perhaps more .
  • jrsigsbury
    6 years ago
    It’s amazing that stuff that was purchased for over $4500 new has depreciated so much. I’ve got it looking like new, freshly serviced...maybe I’ll see a few bucks more. Thanks for the information.
  • 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

hi, if those types of machines are popular in your area check craigs list and see what similar types are going for. now's the time to unload yard stuff, but don't wait to long. if you're pressed for time you might have to adjust your price so it moves. good luck

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Pristine condition , with the cart and blower attachment also pristine perhaps $2500.00 but that's top dollar Bro ! Craftsman units just don,t have much resale value . 300' advice is sound !

• phyllis skillin
    5 years ago

I have a sears craftsman tractor I think its 1956 _1960 how to I try to sell it

• 300ft_anin
    5 years ago

https://todaysmower.com/history-craftsman-tractors/

hi, what kind of tractor are we talking about? above is a web site i found, maybe look through it and find a model#. once you find what exactly you have you can search that and see if there are similar machines for sale and get an idea what they're worth. a lot depends on condition, whether it operates correctly. chances are there aren't going to be to many parts available. first we have to know what you have .

• jrsigsbury
    5 years ago
    Here’s a follow up on my Sears garden tractor with extras. Sold everything to a really nice family for $1750. While they were here they saw my 17” rear tine tiller and bought that for $500! The advice for getting everything in showroom condition made the sales easy. Thanks everyone.
    So a funny end to all this selling is the realization that people really don’t know what has value and what is junk. The worst garden tool I ever owner was a 2-cycle Mantis tiller. I put that thing on eBay and sold it for $280. The highest % of original purchase price of any of the garden and yard stuff I needed to sell. Go figure!
  • ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Great News John , glad to hear you made a decent return on your investment !

• 300ft_anin
    5 years ago

hi john, what was it about the mantis that was unappealing?

• jrsigsbury
    5 years ago
    It was terribly hard to start. Once it was running it was good in relatively soft soil, but in anything hard it bounced around like crazy. It’s best use for me was as an edger.
  • 300ft_anin
    5 years ago

yeah, they are a little finicky. i run across a couple a year that are of no use to their owners and are just about giving them away. you're right about them having limitations, when i sell one, the first thing i tell the buyer is that this is not a roto tiller. glad to hear you found a buyer for the tractor.

• Kathy Rosen
    5 years ago

I have a sears craftsman lawn tractor model 917.28705. I have looked all over to see what the price was when it was purchased June 30, 2007. I am trying to figure out if I want to give it away, tune it up, or sell it. I figure it can't be worth much.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

11 yrs old $450-$500 in Good Condition with operating mower deck !

• HU-63261246
    4 years ago

I have a Sears garden tractor 22 1/2 horse Kohler, 50 inch deck, I Purchased new around 1993, has 750 hours. Still runs excellent very clean. What would be a good asking price

• 300ft_anin
    4 years ago

bring up craigslist and see what other people are trying to get for their's.

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

$250.00 would be a fair price !

• Odie James
    3 years ago

Looking at buying a Craftsman YS 4500, I believe that model is from 2009, is in good working condition and comes with double bagger on back , and ideas what a good price would be ?

• ssewalk1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

High end would be $750 pristine . Otherwise fair to good condition $450 !

• HU-864335758
    3 years ago

I wanna know how much my craftsman 24 hp Briggs & Stratton intake 40 48 inch deck tractor mower is worth model numbered 917.276844

• Russ Stock
    2 years ago

I want to sell my 2007 craftsman Lt 2000 mower...its in brand new condition...i have nothing to compare too price wise cause not much is for sale...just aondering what would be a fair asking

• George Main
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What is the value of a 2014 Craftsman LT2400 with 46inch deck and 19 hp engine

• ssewalk1
    2 years ago

$800 if pristine otherwise , perhaps $475 in fair condition !

• HU-429913734
    2 years ago

Hello Gentlemen! My mom and dad bought a Craftsman LT2000 riding lawn mower around 2009/2010. The mower looks great! However, it won't start. I'm assuming it needs a new battery. My mom wants to sell it but we have no idea how much we should sell it for. I'm not finding anything online and I don't know anyone with lawn mower knowledge. What price would you suggest for a great looking older mower that doesn't run? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• ssewalk1
    2 years ago

$750 if you can get it to run otherwise as is , depends on overall appearance and wear . Perhaps $ 500 in a good market , roll the dice !