Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toro Recycler sparks

Posted by fastmov4 AL (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 23:05

Situation: I ran over a piece of rebar sticking up out of the ground with my Toro Recycler. The blade caught it, and the whole lawnmower shuttered to a stop. Checked out the blade, and it looked to be OK. I started the mower back up, and it seemed to run fine with the exception of a new sound that can best be explained as muffled "baseball card in bicycle spokes). I then noticed sparks starting to shoot out of the exhaust (never done this before). So I shut the mower down and called it a day. Any thoughts? I didn't really notice any new vibrations with the sound, and everything still seems to work. Just don't want to set the yard on fire. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toro Recycler sparks

Well, you could have sheared the flywheel key and possibly damaged the blade hub. I would urge you to have this checked out if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself.

o

Thanks, Tom. I just had the mower in for servicing last week, so I'm hesitant to take it back in and drop another chunk of change. But that may be what I have to do.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 14:54

Does the starter rope feel like its being ripped out of your hand when you pull it? The only time I've seen sparks come out the muffler is when the carb mixture is too rich.

Tom, when the key shears, does it retard or advance the timing. I'm thinking it advances it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here