Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heloflyer

Old Toros with the 2-cycle Suzuki engines

Heloflyer
18 years ago

I stopped by the outdoor power equipment shop and saw an old Toro with a 2-cycle engine. I have heard these engines are outstanding. Anyone out there familiar with this model?

Comments (74)

• Jay____
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Does anybody have a toro rear bagger/ self-propelled/ mulcher with the suzuki 2-cycle engine and the blade brake that they would want to sell? Or could point me in the right direction to finding one? Please help :)

• Heloflyer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You can find the 2-cycle models on eBay if you keep an eye out for them...

• Detchen
    18 years ago

I have a Toro GTS rear bagger, model #20584. Can anyone tell me if this has a suzuki engine and what year it is?

• mike9476
    18 years ago

Yep, it has the suzuki. To find its age, go to Toro's site and follow the link to "look up parts". With the model # and serial #, you should be able to find its age. It was built between 84-89 for sure, to find the exact age you need the serial number.

• Detchen
    18 years ago

Thanks, I thought it did because it has the aluminum deck and it's a 2 cycle. Lately she's been blowing a little more smoke than usual and has been fouling plugs every 45min and just dies. Won't start again no matter what you do unless you put in a new plug in her then she runs strong for another 45min. It has seemed to lose a little power since this started. Could this be the coil because when it dies it sounds electrical? I've even wait until it cooled down and it still wouldn't start. I posted this under lawn mowers and scraping it was suggested but it seems like you guys know more about this type of engine so any advice would be helpful. Thank you

• canguy
    18 years ago

Pull the muffler and check the exhaust ports. They could be pl;ugged with carbon.

• torowrench
    18 years ago

Clean your air filter if you haven't done so already.

• Detchen
    18 years ago

Thanks, I'll put her up on the bench today, I hope it's not the rings.

• Mzokk
    18 years ago

Does anyone know where you can get manuals for these engines. Mine is a 1989 26680C that I've had from new. I've got a feeling I'll have to replave rings and bearings eventually! Its been cutting my 1/3 acre for the last 16 years and cutting down long grass for others when there garden has got away from them!! Also it seems to be running a bit slow. Any Ideas of how to set the govenor?

• torowrench
    18 years ago

I have that service manual in .pdf format. Post or send me an email addy and I'll send it to you.

• garden_hack
    18 years ago

Need some help. I have a 1987 toro that I left gas in for two years of non-use (yes, I know - not smart). Of course, the first 15 years of use, I had absolutely no problems and it always started on the 1st or 2nd pull. After being foolish, I couldn't start it.

Here's my problem, I had to take the carb. apart to clean out all the gunk and get the float unstuck. In order to do that, I took apart all of the throttle linkages and springs, figuring, it can only go back together one way. Now, I can't figure out how to get it all back together correctly. What's the saying - a picture is worth a thousand words - or perhaps about 5 hours of messing with the engine?

Does anyone have a diagram or picture that I could get to help me get this back together? Basically need to know what goes where from the throttle cable to the choke, to the throttle spring.

I don't have a service manual, so perhaps it is outlined there with instructions on how to adjust things after reconnecting everything correctly.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• mike9476
    18 years ago

Have you checked the parts viewer on Toro's website? You put in your model number and it will have part diagrams.

• garden_hack
    18 years ago

Yes, did just that and found the service manual for the engine - thank you. Now I need to find a new governor spring.

• teapoteagle
    18 years ago

I have two of these great mowers.Does anyone do spares for these old Toro Suzuki two cycle machines mail order or even dismantle old ones for spares?I have a problem with the recoil starter on one of my mowers and the prices quoted by a local supplier seem excessive (designed to make me buy a new mower).

• fredmertz
    18 years ago

teapoteagle...Yes I too would like to know about who handles spare parts for these mowers. The two bolts that hold the blade on cost me $17 at the Toro dealer. I have a Suzuki powered Toro with the BBC.

• gorper99
    18 years ago

Try Gibsons Outdoor Shop-Beaver Dam Wisconsin.He has a few sitting outside.Would probably sell pretty cheap.

• teapoteagle
    18 years ago

I collected the parts to repair the recoil starter on my mower today.In conversation with the chap behind the counter I mentioned that I thought the parts were priced to encourage owners to replace their machines rather than repair them and right away he allowed me a useful discount.It seems that it is worth asking.The mower started first time once the recoil starter had been reassembled.

• chrisk7224
    18 years ago

I enjoyed reading this post while looking for information on my Toro model 20684; I am trying to figure out how I caused it to not start anymore.

I got it out to cut the grass this weekend; noticed an oily puddle on the deck beneath the air cleaner housing. So I popped open the box to (1) clean the filter, 'cause it needed it and (2) check on the source of the puddle. It appeared to be drooling slowly from the carburetor throat. I started the engine to see whether the leak affected performance. It didn't appear to, as it started right up and ran normally.

Nonetheless, I set out to clean the filter element (wash, dry, re-oil, like usual) and removed the cleaner housing to clean it and also check to make sure fuel wasn't coming from elsewhere on the carb itself.

I didn't see any external leaks on the carb but noticed that it had slid out on the two long studs a little when I removed the housing. The topside area was a bit dirty so I checked to make sure no obvious dirt fell down the backside to the reed valve; didn't see any. So I pushed it back, then cleaned and vacuumed the dirt off the top of the carb, reassembled and installed the housing with cleaned filter element.

Went to start it back up and - nothing now. It doesn't seem to fire at all when the rope is pulled. It's not leaking at all either, but now I have a whole new non-starting problem.

Any ideas?

• kiminwnc
    17 years ago

I just bought a 20684 model Toro for $150. It runs wide-open. I think it might need a governor spring. Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to get one and also a diagram to know how to install it.

• two_cycle_nut
    17 years ago

go to the toro website and plug in your model#

• kobra_karl
    17 years ago

Any body intrested in a new old stock 20581 toro mower. Aluminum deck 21 ". Taking offers. Thanks

• roundrockcrawler
    16 years ago

Can any one help me locating a coil for my Toro 2 cycle 47pz2 mod#20581,it,s not the kill switch all ready unhooked it..If you have a good one or know of after market source,please let me know,i also so have parts to trade too if you need some,I have 3 of these 2 cycle 47pz2 and need 2 coils..512-635-3786 ...Some person by the name of Neal had one but I can,t find the post after I logged in....Help

• indy452
    16 years ago

Roundrockcrawler, unfortunatelly I can't help you out. I was looking for the coils myself and having bad luck at it. I'm just going to have to buy new for the big prices because the engine on my 22040 is not even close to worn out. These engines are some of the best I've ever dealt with other that the price for "certain" parts like coils that have a shorter life that the rest of the engine components. I really can't complain too much, my Toro is a commercial with more hours on it than I can only imagine.
    Keep your eyes peeled for Toros in the back of shops and hardware stores as there are several out there but otherwise there are no aftermarket suppliers for Suzuki engines that I know of.

Good luck, Neal

• svteaser
    15 years ago

It's alive! (And hopefully, so is this old thread)

I finally got my Toro Suzie-Q lawn mower running again! It's Model # 16785, side discharge and front wheel self propelled.

I had a drive wheel come off several years ago. The spring-steel pin that held the wheel gear on the axle broke off and I could never seem to drive the pin out and it ate up drill bits trying to drill it out. Since I also had a John Deere lawn tractor, I just kept using that (JD) and left the Toro in the crawl space to rot. One day, and I don't know why, I decided to try to drive the pin out of the axle. With the right tools and paitence I got that done. I ordered two new drive wheels since the originals were totally worn out and also some new pins to hold the wheel gears on. I put everything back together, put some fresh gas mix in the tank and tried to start it up. It came alive in about 6 pulls, but ran real rough. Then it started a very high speed vibration and a lot of noise. I shut it down and started to investigate. First, the carb was totally full of crap. Second, I thought that either the blade brake had broken or one of the bearings was shot. After a quick look around, I couldn't see anything wrong with the blade brake. so I took the engine totally apart. Yes, the upper bearing had dried out and nothing in it was still round. I ordered new bearings, seals, rings, flywheel key, carb kit and pulley for the drive belt (I broke the old pulley trying to get it off). I cleaned out the tank, fuel line, and carb and I finally put the engine back together. I wish I had taken a picture of the governor and carb linkages before I took everything apart, but with the help of a Toro .pdf shop manual and an online parts "finder" that had blow-ups of the mower parts, I finally figured it out. I also bought a new blade, spark plug and air filter from the local Toro shop.

The darned thing fired up in about 4 pulls. It ran almost like brand new except it had a bad surge at low speed and a very minor surge at high speed. Aparently, I hadn't cleaned out the jets good enough and the low speed jet was almost clogged. I got some information off the Internet about 2-cycle engines surging. Most folks said surging was usually caused by a lean fuel mixture of some type. I fixed the clogged low speed jet with carb cleaner and a wire from a twist tie.

It now runs like brand spanking new. Starts on the second pull and it has a purr / bubbling at low idle and the familiar two stroke humm-put-put at high speed. The only problem I have now is keeping up with the mower at full speed! I put some SeaFoam in the gas to help clean the carb even more and also stabilize the gas / oil mix.

I used Milaca Lawn & Garden for the parts, shop manual and mower part blow-up drawings (http://www.milacalawn.com/home2.asp). The prices weren't cheap for the parts, but Milaca had everything I needed, plus they had the Toro / Suzuki Shop Manual available as a free download.

Somebody has a new Suzuki short block on eBay. Right now, it's at about $50. Great deal, but I doubt if my engine will ever break again. It really broke because of my mis-treatment. I can't even guess how many hours I have on the mower and during most of those mowing hours I wasn't gentle on the Toro.

If you have the right tools and paitence you can fix these engines yourself. If I can do it, you can for sure. The only time I needed outside help was to get the broken pulley off of the crankshaft. I took the crankshaft to an automotive machine shop. They said that their 5 ton press was moaning trying to get the pulley off since it had bonded with the crankshaft due to corrosion. I also rented a harmonic balancer puller from a local auto parts store. I used the puller to get the flywheel off. I also had to get long bolts that fit the flywheel to use with the puller.

Anyway, now I'm ALMOST looking for an excuse to cut the grass.

Thanks for listening. I hope I helped someone out and sorry if I bored you.

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Milaca Lawn & Garden

• equinox_grow
    15 years ago

Got to love old 2-cycle engines. I have a late 50's Jacobsen with the 2-cycle that runs like new. Also got a 1988 Lawnboy 8480 with a perfectly running F engine. Just got rid of a 1986 8480 that ran well but I didnt need it anymore.

• boston410
    15 years ago

just a tip to anyone having problems, with no spark from the coils, i own a small engine shop, try putting the coil in your oven for about 20 minutes on about 220 degs make sure your not melting it just warming it up. i have done this with many kinds and have about a 90 percent success rate, give it a try

• shr1434
    14 years ago

I just thought I would put in my 2 cents. I bought a new Toro 2 cycle in 1989, Model 20684. Used it every summer for 5 months a year. NEVER been in a repair shop & I am not a mechanic. I try to keep it clean and only do routine maintenance. ONLY one problem now. I am looking for new rear wheels. They are slick and loose traction. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Steve

• kc9acx
    14 years ago

I have a model 20581 runs well But I am losing all of my gas out of the air filter opening Just rebulit the carb Anyone have any ideas of what it could be ?

• saaboc
    14 years ago

Yes, either your float isn't floating or the needle isn't making proper contact w/the needle o-ring seal. These conditions will allow fuel to over fill the float chamber & spill out thru the air intake &/or into the engine.

Take the bowl off again & ck the float for viability...if it's good, try adjusting the float needle tang so it pushes the needle valve into it's seat/seal further. If that dosen't do the trick, the o-ring may nd replacing.

• saaboc
    14 years ago

I'd like to modify my answer. If your 20581 is anything like my 20680, there isn't any way to adj the float & there's no o-ring seal above the float needle.

I just took my carb apart (fourth time) & gave it a really good going over. The tip of the float needle is the seal! It's rubber!

I recommend you do what I did & have a really close inspection of the carb. I had an issue w/the float sticking in the UP position, keeping fuel from filling the bowl.

Your float may be stuck as well, keeping it from shutting off the ingress of fuel. I fixed mine by removing the float & needle, then using a dremmel w/a new ss wire wheel, polished the inside of the bracket the float pivots in. I kept at it until the float moved up/down freely.

Ironicly, now I've got the same problem you have!!! I'm going to try getting up into the hole the rubber tipped needle seats into & polish it - it's a very narrow hole however...not sure how I'll procede yet. I wonder if replacement float needles are still available?

• barrell_1_osu_edu
    13 years ago

Hi folks, I am kind of a "drive by" posting just looking for some advice, so any replies would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 1985 model 20584, not sure if the engine is a Suzuki or not. But I had not used the mower for several years and I wanted to get it out and use it for some trim mowing.

It would not start so I removed the old fuel, made sure the carb was working and the spark lug was sparking. I put in some fresh fuel and after about ten pulls it started and ran rough for about 30 seconds, it smoothed out but the engine surges a lot and will only run at full choke or ust a bit off of full choke. If I put the throttle in the fast postion or the slow position the engine quits, but it will start right back upp with one pull.

Any suggestions from you experts here?

Thanks in advance,
    Tony

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

Yours has the Suzuki 47PD3-2 engine. You need to tear down the Mikuni carb, clean all passages, and boil it out in carb cleaner.

• screwjack
    13 years ago

ggoyeneche, thanks for the reply, but are you serious, I have to not only take a carb apart but boil it in carb cleaner? Wow, that sounds like something I don't want to do. But I was figuring anyone answered me it would be with that answer.

I am not sure I can handle taking any carb apart especially one this small. If I do try to tackle this problem any idea how I can find out what setting I would need to set the jets at when putting the carb back together?

Thanks again,

Tony

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

All jets are fixed on the Mikuni BV-15. If you clean everything properly, it runs. There are no adjustments.

• screwjack
    13 years ago

Okay that sounds easy enough, maybe I will try that later today.

Thanks again for the advice...

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Stoogetopia

• crickeydog
    13 years ago

I have a 1984 Toto 3 speed self propelled 2 cycle engine mower that I bought new that now has a broken blade brake clutch belt. How do I determine which make engine I have and where can I get a belt? Toro has told me the belt is no longer available? The engine runs great.

• crickeydog
    13 years ago

I have a 1984 Toro GTS rear bagger 3 speed self propelled 2 cycle engine mower that I bought new in 1984 that now has a broken blade brake clutch belt. How do I determine which make engine I have and where can I get a BBC belt? Toro has told me the belt is no longer available? The engine runs great.

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

You need get the Toro mower number (16XXX or 206XX or similar) and enter it on Toro's Website (see below).

You could have a Suzuki engine or a Tecumseh engine. Suzuki also made 4 strokes for Toro, but I think that was later vintage.

I believe all Toro BBC's use a 42-0882 belt which is 1/2 x 23, or a 42-0881 which is 1/2 x 22. Even if Toro doesn't sell the belt, 1/2 (4L) belts are readily available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro Solutions Center

• memo3189
    13 years ago

I have an old 20584 walk behind with the Susuki engine. This spring it finally died, the coil is dead. Anyone know where I can get one. It's the 81-1990 coil. I understand I can use a 81-2820 but I'll need to change the flywheel.

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

I did not think you could substitute the 81-1990 coil with the later 81-2820 coil, even after changing the flywheel. However, I haven't tried, so someone may have more experience.

As for the newer 81-2820 coil, they have been profitable for me on Ebay. I have sold several ranging from $65 to $90 each. Makes the carcass more profitable than the complete mower,however, I don't have any now.

• memo3189
    13 years ago

I really don't use this mower any more. As luck would have it I was digging it out of the garage to get it running and cleaned up to sell on craigs list. I got a couple pops out of it then nothing. After a few tests the coil shows bad.
    As you said, looks like I parts this thing out. Two years ago I put 2 brand new rear drive wheels and cogs on this.... so if anyone is looking for wheels......

• cmeech_tampabay_rr_com
    12 years ago

I have a 2cycle suzuki engine model pz247 and i have slop in the crankshaft and it sound like the blade is about to come off. could the bearings be shot and allows the to move back and forth or it a rod coming loose ?

• viking427
    12 years ago

The "slop" may be either a loose blade (tighten the blade retaining bolt) or a loose/sheared woodruff key in the crank adapter that the blade bolts to (replace the 1/4" key). The crank itself wallowing around in its lower bearing support indicates bigger problems and the need to tear it down for inspection/rebuild.

If you do have the Suzuki 47PZ2, you have a rare bird indeed. This was the first year of this engine series (1983) and the only year to use mechanical points triggered ignition. The following years 1984-2003, the 47P used solid state ignition, which used a small transistor mounted in the coil casing to fire the ignition ..which was prone to heat/vibration fatigue and often failed - see other threads on here & elsewhere about expensive 47P coil replacement and attempts to save them by heating them in an oven ..all thanks to that dime sized transistor that you don't have to worry about.

• jdmalibu
    11 years ago

Very interesting thread. I was undecided on a purchase from craigslist, this thread has confirmed my intent to buy this Toro. Can someone give me an idea of what age Toro this unit is? The seller does not know, and I don't have the model info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro 2 Cycle Suzuki Listing

• Greg Goyeneche
    11 years ago

Without the part number it's hard to guess the age. Looks like a 20684 from the late 1980's or maybe a bit later. I doubt that it is a 5.5hp. That vintage were usually rated 4.5hp.

Good machine, but keep in mind it is a Consumer mower, and not the Professional Proline.

• jdmalibu
    11 years ago

Well I bought the Toro for $125. It starts first pull, and sounds like a dirt bike (awesome). I can't seem to find any identification marks, like a model number. Where is the model number located on these models? I need to order a set of rear wheels.

• johndeere6930
    11 years ago

hi wonder if anyone could help me i have a toro commercial with a suzuki 2cycle 5.5hp engine the mower has three gears self drive and grass bag how much would it be worth now and are they any good.Thanks

• Armando Hernandez
    4 years ago

hey!! I just recently found one on the the sidewalk. I'm guessing there throwing it away. It has its ware and tare and of course rust . I have yet to work on it or even tried to start it up. There is no starter rope/grip to start it but i would like to know is the value of one of these lawn mowers go for {TV5002 2cycle} . I have yet to know anything bout it other than it has a suzuki engine and the gas tank is made out of aluminum not plastic.

• 300ft_anin
    4 years ago

nice find. there will be a plaque attached some where on that mower that will have the model #. of course you'll have to get your starter rope fixed before you can check anything. i have 1, and they sure sound cool when running. keep us up to date with your progress.