Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Post Stroke Riding Mower

Posted by jimdayle none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 23:09

My dad had a a stroke a couple months ago. He is 77 and has been very active caring for almost six acres until now. He was mowing with tractors using mowing decks. My sister and I are trying to research what brand/model riding mower might work for him. He has left arm and left leg function. If he could even mow an hour a day he would be pleased. Right now he wishes he could do what he did before, but we know that his current equipment would not accommodate his needs.
We are not mower talk savvy so please answer in simple language.

Thank you very much!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Post Stroke Riding Mower

Sorry to here about your dad, Hope he recovers.

I would think step through design mow with large deck would work. He could step through using his left leg to run the pedal drive system on hydrostat models (automatic's) They also have elect. clutches to turn the deck on and off by pulling switch. John Deere X300 series or x500 series mowers may work. Or other manufactures with step through design.

He can go to JD dealer and see what may work for him and test drive them. JD's 300 series start out $4000. and X500 series start around $6000. with 500 hr bumper to bumper warrantee. Most people are satisfied with JD dealers due to their commitment to service.

With his right side weak He will just have to see if he can operate it side saddle with his left side operating the pedal drive. You will have to as if they have any special left handed/legged modified lawn tractors. I dough it, but won't hurt to as Dealer or goggle?

There are some Commercial stand up models you could research see it he could operate them with only left side functioning. Might try to google them also and find dealer to check them out...

o
RE: Post Stroke Riding Mower

Thank you rcmoser. We appreciate these ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here