Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ichigo82

2000 Scotts/Murray mower won't start

ichigo82
14 years ago

Hey guys, I have a 2000 Scotts/Murray Easy Start Magna Torque 6.5HP lawn mower model 21997X8A. The mower has been sitting in my fathers shed for about a year. I took the mower out a few days ago and changed the fuel and oil, spark plug and filter and the mower will not start. I put a E3.18 Spark plug in it and it still wont start. I have a feeling that it's the magneto ingition coil because it has alot of rust on it. I'm gonna try to sand off the rust but i'm thinking of replacing the whole ignition coil. The problem is I don't know which ignition coil to buy. I know it has to be a magneto but the are so many to choose from. Any help would be great!!

Comments (5)

• bluemower
    14 years ago

to test the ignition, use some duct tape to rig the spark plug wire about 3/16 inch away from the engine cylinder head. With an observer and a darken garage, hold the bail and pull the cord. If there is no spark, remove one coil bolt to clean the rust under the bolt head. INSTALL and tighten the first bolt before removing the second bolt for rust removal. Reply with results.

Usually, non starting problems are related to old residual fuel that is still in the carburetor. The fuel primer on this engine often fails after 7 - 8 years and carburetor work is required.

• ichigo82
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the help bluemower, I couldn't test the coil like you asked but I did remove all the rust from the coil and the magnet and it still wouldn't start. I removed the fuel line and then the card and removed all the gas from it but now the carb is leaking gas through the fuel filter. I think this is turning out to be more then I bargained for so I think i'm just going to buy a new mower. What's the difference between rear and front propelled?

• lbpod
    14 years ago

Don't be a quitter. Persevere and you will find satisfaction.

• kevinsos_earthlink_com
    13 years ago

unhook spark plug rotate blade by hand make sure u feel compresion if not check flywheel key.make sur u have spark.if spark is ok remove air filter pour a cap full of fule in carb.coil getting bad is rare.if u have spark your ok there.repeat primming carb with cap full nof fuel it should start.if starts then dies check fule line for blockage. unscrew carb bowl check for fuel.if no fule check fule line for blockage. hope this helps.

• kevinsos_earthlink_com
    13 years ago

unhook spark plug rotate blade by hand make sure u feel compresion if not check flywheel key.make sure u have spark.if spark is ok remove air filter pour a cap full of fule in carb.coil getting bad is rare ucan use a little sand paper on contacts at flywheel.if u have spark your ok there.repeat primming carb with cap full nof fuel it should start.if starts then dies check fule line for blockage. unscrew carb bowl check for fuel.if no fuel check fule line for blockage. hope this helps.