Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tshrimp_gw

Where is the throttle on these new mowers?

tshrimp
17 years ago

I was at the store today, and picked up a Husqvarna 87521RS. Price was good, and had the 8.75 Torque OHV B&S. This version tested out well in CR and the Honda version with the same deck, etc tested out great in popular mechanics as well.

I have not purchase a mower since 1994 when I purchased a Murry with a 3.8HP Techumsah. I sold it yesterday. It was still running great after all these years. Always starts on the 1st pull even after 13 years.

My question is this. Where is the control for the throttle? Even my old $120 Murry had this. I then booted up my laptop and looked on-line, and to my surprize I brought up a pictures of mowers from stores all over the web and could find no mowers with an adjustable throttle.

What is up with this? When my grass is not too high I like to low with a slower engine setting since power is not needed. The manual even states that it is not adjustable. Are there no mowers that have this? Does anyone know of a new mower in the $350 (MAX) price range that can has a throttle?

I must be going crazy. It is probably just my mower, and the pictures maybe just don't have the trottle pictured, but it is there.

P.S. Would love a recommendation of another mower if it has the adjustable trottle. I am not a big fan of Honda, but am open to them if this feature is there.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (19)

• tshrimp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Honda version of this mower also did not have the throttle control. Nor did any other Honda I looked at. Actually none of the mowers I looked at had it. Went back and looked on line to verify. I am open to Honda (would rather have Briggs though) if there is one with throttle control and is below $350 in price.

Admit I am confused why any mower would not have this. I don't want my engines at full speed all the time. Need that adjustment. I always think that the less an engine has to work the longer it will last.

• rdaystrom
    17 years ago

Your last statement is correct but low speed doesn't mean less stress on the engine. Low rpms do not always translate into less wear or stress on an engine. Recommended operating speed is where an engine should be run. Most current mower engines are designed to run at full throttle. Read the recommendation in the owner's manual

• tshrimp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Is it possible to just and the Throttle Control?

See link

Here is a link that might be useful: Throttle Control cable

• nevada_walrus
    17 years ago

Shrimp, a Honda powered any old thing and a Honda mower are not the same. Honda powered junk still has no throttle control. Honda equipment does.

I do understand your desire for speed control and so does Honda, their carbs will meter jetting throughout the range so they still install the throttles. Their engines on junk equipment may not but only because the seller[Home Cheapo] in this case, has told the OEM to save the money and go cheap.

For those who don't understand the desire for throttling down here are some examples.
    1. Some of us just feel better about idle speed for warm up, even if for just a half a minute.
    2. Slow rpms in dusty conditions or for bagging/mulching leaves in the fall.
    3. Sometimes you just want to go a bit slower and quieter. Why not if you have an engine and carb that will properly meter fuel and air at any rpm. Just because the junk competition can't handle it a Honda engine shouldn't be restrictied by an OEM who just wants the Honda name on their product to sell units. Using the Honda reputation for quality is why so many cheap Chinese clones of Honda are on the market. Just looking like a Honda sells product.

• bill_kapaun
    17 years ago

Basically it's an EPA & cost cutting thing.
    EPA wants low emissions, so the engine manfs. just eliminate the throttle and the idle circuit on the carb.
    Engine runs at one speed and the carb is "optimized" for that one speed. Well, emissions wise anyway.
    Manf. saves a few cents and complies with EPA.

Honda has been able to comply with emission regs years ahead of the others and figured it out, instead of sitting on their hands until forced to do something.

• tshrimp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My $120 Murry had it, but my new $350 doesn't. Ouch. Don't get me wrong, this is 3 times the mower, but to omit this drives me nuts. And I can take it back to the store if needed.

So you are saying this is a common thing for these new mowers not the have any throttle control?

From what I am hearing Honda branded mowers have the adjustment, but I an not sure I can afford the Honda brand.(Honda for $350)

Can anyone recommend a $350 mower that has it with RWD and a B&S or Tecumsah(sp?) (I can go Honda, but B&S is my 1st choice)?

Thanks for the info, and any recommendations.

• nevada_walrus
    17 years ago

TShrimp, if you buy a mower with a Quantum Power Briggs on it you can add the T-control. The mechanism is still on the engine. The control bracket is bent over to lock it in full governed throttle. By straightening the bent over bracket and adding the remote T control you can get it back.

Keep in mind the carb no longer has a hard high screw setting. At idle setting the governor spring will still hold some pressure on the throttle not allowing it to return to full idle. Instead of dropping to 1700 rpm it will only be around 2100-2200 rpm but that is still about 1000 rpm below full governed speed.

You will need a cable clamp and screw along with the T control unit. We like to use the universal control put out by Murray. They are nice units and very affordable, around 10 bucks. They are universal so adapting will be required. They are too long so they will fit anything walk behind. The control box pops apart so the outer/inner cable can be removed, the inner can be slide out to make a simple cut of the outer cable to proper length. The control lever has two hole to connect the inner wire to and the control box halves have top and bottom mounting points for the outer cable. This allows switching the control from pull/push to push/pull so proper throw orientation can be achieved at the engine end.

Instructions come with it that any 10 year old can decypher, as long as you read it 2 or 3 times.

• tshrimp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Will that also work with the Briggs Intek 875 OHV series engine?

I just go this mower, and got it home and was surprised that it did not have the throttle adjustment. The only thing is I got to looking, and that is common.

Anyone know of a sub $350 mower that I can get that would have the feature (also RWD)

Also is the B&S Intek OHV 875 a good engine(190cc), and how does it compare with the 160cc low end Honda engines?
    (Please be open minded as I am looking for an unbiased response, as I know Honda owners seem to be have the thought that only Honda will do;-)

Thanks for all your help.

• tshrimp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bill,

Thanks for the input. Also went to the store, and you stated..

"Honda has been able to comply with emission regs years ahead of the others and figured it out, instead of sitting on their hands until forced to do something"

I noticed that the Lawn-Boy's all had the adjustable throttle, and they were all Briggs & Stratton. I then looked on the web, and read where it was Briggs who was able to overcome before Honda. Of coarse I have learned to not always belive what you read on the web. An example is what looked like a professional article about the fact that NO mower has the Throttle control, and we all know that is not correct. If I find it I will post the link.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Anyone find that $350 mower that has the Throttle Adjustment ability?

Thanks.

• bill_kapaun
    17 years ago

"Also is the B&S Intek OHV 875 a good engine(190cc), and how does it compare with the 160cc low end Honda engines?
    (Please be open minded as I am looking for an unbiased response....)

Well to be "open minded", shouldn't you compare equivalent sized engines?
    "..low end Honda" vs high end Briggs?

• tshrimp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bill,

You stated "Well to be "open minded", shouldn't you compare equivalent sized engines?
    "..low end Honda" vs high end Briggs?
    "

The reason I compared these 2 motors (yes the low end Honda and High End Briggs) is that the High End Briggs is less expensive, and therefore a fair comparison. If the High End Briggs is as good as the low end Honda and cost less then it seemed to me to be a good comparison.

Example... many of the mowers I looked at had the exact same mower, but one With that Briggs Intek OHV 875 and the other with that Honda engine; therefore, making this a very good comparison in my view. In all instances the Honda was more expensive.

Also.....
    I guess there are now sub $350 mowers with the throttle adjustment these days. Please someone prove me wrong.

Thanks for the response Bill, and the reason I put in the message to be "open minded" is that many (but not all) people who like Honda won't see past them,and therefore, it can be hard to get a fair answere.

• bill_kapaun
    17 years ago

I have to admit I'm biased toward Honda. Maybe starting my 19th season on my Masters has something to do with that?
    18+ years with a mower that still WORKS WELL.

• tshrimp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I understand it is hard not to be bias at times. I also admit I am a little biased toward Tecumseh. My dad has one that has got to be close to 30 years old. I mowed with it when I was a kid, and I am almost 40.

I had a Tecumseh since Jan of 1994 (13 years), and I sold it a couple of days ago. (A guy made me a good offer for it.) I was still running great. I can only remember one time that it did not start on at least the 2nd pull. Also my neighbor has had his little 3.5 HP Briggs Since 1990.

So I admit it is hard for me to be looking at either the B&S or Honda. And also way I posted the "open minded " thing. I hate that word, but thought it would get the least biased responses.

I am glad you have had luck with your Honda.

• 1saxman
    17 years ago

'Where is the throttle on these new mowers?'

Same place it always was, in the carburetor. It just doesn't have a manual control anymore, being controlled only by the governor ass'y. There is never any need to run the mower at less than the full-mandated RPM for any particular machine. Just let go of the bail and it stops - grab the bail and pull the starter and it starts. Nothing could be simpler when changing modes of operation or emptying the bag. I thought I would hate this but actually like it. The manual throttle control is just useless. The thing is designed to work at the set speed and that's that.

• nevada_walrus
    17 years ago

Any Intek costing less then a GCV Honda is not top of the line Briggs with commercial features. It is a upper consumer engine just as is the GCV Honda. In my opinion the GCV wins hands down.

Saxman there are times when throttleing back are desireable. As I mention previously, bagging leaves in the fall is a good example. When I had a yard I would back down to idle to bag leaves as it worked just as well for leaves only and produced a whole lot less dust and debris in the air.

That and the fact that I am old school, like to warm the engine for a minute or so at idle. It may not benefit the engine any but it does for my peace of mind.

• jerry_nj
    17 years ago

Happy I read, even if the Honda only club couldn't give an unbiased input, well some admitted it before not giving any other comparisons.

I'm think of buying the Yardman with the Honda GCV160 at Walmart for $208, and I don't need a throttle, I know those splash oiled engines need the rpm to get oiled correctly and to cut properly. I was attracted to the Walmart machine just because it had a Honda on an affordable machine..a push mower with rear bag, side discharge and mulch. I figured here's my chance to try an Honda without feeling I'd overpaid, then I thought the engine may not be a real Honda, but I've seen by some inputs it is thought highly of, especially compared to a B&S. I think I'll go buy one tomorrow, hope I'm not disappointed with the Honda after all the Tecumseh and B&S engines that have served me well over the years.

• bill_kapaun
    17 years ago

On a $200 mower, the engine is the last thing I'd be concerned about. With a bit of care, any engine will outlast the deck.

• HU-959554946
    2 years ago

I hadn boubought a push mower since the 80’s, and was mystified with the absence of a throttle. I can deal with full throttle while mowing but what about cool down on hot days? I hate killing an engine without letting it cool down....