Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_linus

Mower for 'native grasses'

bob_linus
12 years ago

I keep about an acre of native grasses (aka "weeds") mowed down. I often use a 38" John Deere riding mower for the open areas, but I still need to mow smaller areas near the house, around trees, etc. Sometimes I do the entire area for some exercise. And if the grasses haven't gone to seed yet, I even catch the clippings for my compost pile. The ground is fairly rough (pretty much the natural state) and about 1/2 of it has about a 1 in 15 slope. I've been using a 25 year old Craftsman front wheel drive that only bags (no discharge chute), but it's on its deathbed.

I'm considering Honda, Toro, and Lawnboy. One concern about Honda is the rear discharge when not bagging. Seems that side discharge (like my riding mower) is better when the grasses get higher. I like the maneuverability of FWD, but everything I read says that RWD is better. I have also read that high wheels don't seem to have any advantage.

Ruggedness is the most important quality in my application, not keeping a well-manicured lawn. Cost is not a big issue, but I prefer not paying for things that don't matter. And I don't think I really want to pay $2K or more for a Billy Goat or DR machine. I don't think they would work well for the smaller areas near the house, around the trees, etc.

Am I on the right track in my search? Do the high-end Hondas and Toros have significant advantages for my application?

Comments (5)

• roadbike
    12 years ago

A mower from either Toro or Honda will do what you need, which is chop long blades of grass into short ones. Look for a machine with good mulching capability like the Super Recycler and the cuttings will be spread much more evenly than with a side discharge. Keep the height under control and the job will go easier and the finished product will look much better.

• bluemower
    12 years ago

For one acre of field grass, you probably need a heavy duty model from a mower shop. I doubt if the department store mowers will hold up. Look for ball bearing wheels, sturdy handlebars and a strong deck. If possible, avoid extra control cables.

• homechicken
    12 years ago

I can't speak to brand because I haven't owned a Toro or a Honda. I did own a Craftsman w/Tecumseh 6.75 HP engine for 12 years that had plenty of power for tall tough weeds and thick grass. It was front wheel drive, which was the main reason I finally got rid of it. On bumpy ground FWD is a pain in the rear. Every bump throws the mower off line and you constantly have to fight the mower to keep it going in a straight line. Due to an injury I had to get a riding mower to cut our big hilly bumpy yard and just used the Craftsman for trimming where the rider wouldn't go. I decided to trade it in at the local used mower/repair place for an almost new lightweight push mower because the heavy FWD Craftsman just didn't suit my needs any more.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

It's laughable to talk about throwing a new premium mower at these crappy conditions. Just get the absolute cheapest push mower you can find, or look around for a good buy on a used premium.

• roadbike
    12 years ago

What you will find is that the cheapest lawn mower will give up in a laughably short amount of time and you will be replacing it several times over the life of a much better built and somewhat more expensive one. You stated that the small machine is to be used for close in work around trees and the house. That would be a perfect application for a well made machine like a Super Recycler.