Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Honda Vomitator

andrelaplume2
10 years ago

I bought mom in law a new mower last year...snapper died. My son does her grass since Pop died. I wanted to get a toro PP but she is on a budget and I did not like the Toro PP mowers I saw at HD...looked a little crappy compared to my 1999 PP. I went with a $399 Honda also at HD but purchased at a dealer who claimed it was a good unit irregardless of where I bought it.

I have used it twice this year...did not get a chance last year. The thing constantly vomits grass out the rear right wheel...something has to be wrong...the first time I thought it was wet tall grass...but it was dry tonight. In fact I had to mow in a circle clockwise to keep the grass from leaving lines everywhere I went. Even so I ended up with a line of clippings I could not get rid of...I actually went over the line 10X...finally I used my blower to disperse.

I figure this thing is simply crap as a mulcher OR something is wrong....

FYI, I used my 1999 PP in the same conditions...no mess.

Its almost like a piece or something is missing that would keep the grass under the deck....

Comments (15)

• rosemallow
    10 years ago

Sounds like the Scroll, Front part number
    76125-VG3-010 is missing.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

but the grass is coming out the rear right wheel...is that the the part...76125-VG3-010

• rosemallow
    10 years ago

Sorry that is for the front scroll.
    Hmm, What happens if you use the bagger? Does it work properly?

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will have to try that. Get this...the NEW model this year, still $399...has a lever that flips a little door that goes from mulching to bagging. In other words you can have the bag on all the time...mulch a while then flip the lever and bag. Of course toting around the bag makes the sucker heavier and less manuaverable.

Between you and me I bet they got complaints because of the vomiting that I now believe is inherent to this unit. Hondas solution.....redesign...naaaa..just a a lever so you can bag the vomitator's mess! Of course that does not help me!

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

Im certian there is some other reason causing your issue we are just not aware of. The thing is the Honda mower is regarded as the best mulching mower system available. Did you put the blade on upside down?

• rosemallow
    10 years ago

Give me a model number. The one with the Bag/Mulch is a HRX series. What series is yours?

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

Yep and those start at $600.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just back...been away...my model was $399--I'll try to get the number. I'll have to check the blade...its possible its on upside down I guess...not sure mom still has manual...anyone got a pic of how the blade should be on?

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

I can in a bit but the correct way looks like the wrong way to the untrained eye IMO. Years ago the first time I sharpened my blades I put them on backwards. It was real easy to tell, not only was it cutting like your talking about but you could also see the buildup of chlorophyll/plant matter on the edgeless side of the blade.

I hope that is your problem, easy fix.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

me too..thanks! Do the blades always turn the same direction on mowers...which way...never really thought about it before...

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

Not sure if they ALL turn the same way but on my Honda I believe they rotate clockwise.

• rosemallow
    10 years ago

Looking down from top to bottom the engine rotates clockwise. Looking up from the bottom to top it goes counter clockwise.
    So the sharp edge is always on the left when you are looking from the bottom to the top.
    I took out 2 new blades and put them together as a pair. Honda blades are made to mold together. You cannot put Honda blades upside down they will not fit.

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

Not opposite order, upside down/completely flipped. And you absolutely can, I sure as heck did and couldn't believe it when I finally figured it out. :)

• rosemallow
    10 years ago

Excuse me bsmith717.
    All Honda blades have a button hole on the lower blade. If you put the blade upside down it will not fit on the hubs flat surface.
    Yes, you could do this, but with problems.
    Anyone doing this should never, never give anyone anywhere help on any lawn equipment.
    I will upload pictures to show you this.

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

Your quite rude aren't you? It must be unbelievably awesome for you being a human incapable of making an error. I mean if we were talking about ratios in which to mix certian volatile chemicals where even the smallest miscalculation would guarantee certian death, perhaps your lack of tact and pious view of yourself could be tolerated.

We aren't and atleat by me it won't.

It was my first mower, first blade removal/installation and first trip around the block with its maintenece.

So get over yourself, this is a gardening forum and this specifically is the mower area.