Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

echo pe 200 gas edger question

andrelaplume2
11 years ago

was in the depot looking at the orange echo line and saw a grey edger there...grey like its bretheren in my shed. I looked and it was reduced to $114. The ticket said 'slow moving'. I know a fella there who tried to acertain what a 2 year old echo would be doing in the store. We thought maybe it was used...it looked a bit dirty but the fuel tank was clean as was the air filter. The fella found out it likely was stored under cover outside..who knows how long.

I bought it....even used a Lowed 10% off coupon...$110 out the door.

Question:

Is there anything that could be wrong with the sucker sitting out side...allbeit under cover fo who knows how long.

Is there anyhthing I should do prior to starting it...or just put the gas in and see what happens.

Finally, It came with the oil, goggles and manual. The Manual says to use 89 octante gas. For 10 years I have not used 89 octane in my other 2 echo products...always used treated 87. Whats up with the 89 octane?

Comments (7)

• roadbike
    11 years ago

You bought it and are asking after the fact what could be wrong with it? The better time to ask would have been before handing the cash over. You probably have an old customer return. The only way to find out if it works is to try it. If the manual says use 89 octane then that is what I would use. If you really want to know why they recommend 89 you might contact Echo.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

maybe my original post was not clear. I saw what I thought to be a GREAT deal on a quality piece of echo equipment.

It said it was slow moving, a prior year model and thus reduced.

I tried to ascertain if it was used because it looked a little dirty. I was told it was NOT used and had been under cover outside...I opened the fuel tank...no gas smell. I looked at the filter..perfectly clean.

I was really just wondering if the effects of sitting outside, under cover could have any ill effect on the equipment. IT IS RETURNABLE.

As far as the 89 octante..sure I could call Echo. Then again we have this great forum here with (sometimes) knowlegable folks, who might have been able to answer the question...since as I have pointed out I have been using 87 for years in my echo blower and trimmer.

If such a person reads this and cares to respond..thanks....

• roadbike
    11 years ago

Again the only way you will find out if there are any problems resulting from the way is was stored is to try it. Neither you nor I know what the history of that machine is. For all you know it was run briefly with no oil then returned. Don't over analyze a simple issue...just try starting with what ever grade of gas you think is superior to the manufacturers recommendation.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I started it this evening. It started right up. I let it idle a few minutes and breifly used it. I shut it off. I noted a funny smell and noticed some smoke coming off the engine once it stopped running...almosy like something burning off the engine. It did this only the first time. I ran it again and did my walks. I love the thing but....I took it to pops and used it for a half hour. I shut it a while. I started it again and it started to stall when I pulled the trigger.

So....thoughts on what could be wrong? I wonder if it would be covered if I took it to a dealer? I can take it back. One thing...I want one of these!

• roadbike
    11 years ago

I wonder if there could be some varnish left from gasoline that evaporated long ago. To be honest I would not spend much time figuring out what needs to be fixed. Take it back and spend more for a new one. Chalk this up as one of thise deals that was too good to be true.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well I might but first...I am an idiot! I brought home new gas tonight. I decided to empty the gas out of the edger and replace it......one problem...it was almost bone dry! Yes, it may have been stalling because it was out of gas! In all fairness it was twighlight when I was finishing up with it. It was late but I did start it up tonight...just no time to use it. I also noticed a huge clump of mud stiffling the blade from turning...that may have had an ill effect as well. So before I return it I will try again. Any issue though and back it goes...I will get another though.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it worked fine for an hour yesterday!