Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edthedead

How the heck??

edthedead
13 years ago

I have a push mower with the Kohler XT6- and my spark plug wrenches will not fit that plug. Any tips? It is supposed to be a rc12yc 5/8" plug- but no go. Anyone?

Comments (27)

• baymee
    13 years ago

I think that's a 5/8" plug. Use a 5/8" deep socket.

• edthedead
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Any ideas on the size yet? I want to get this ready to go and have had no luck. 5/8, 3/4, 13/16, 11/16 are a no go.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

18mm deepwell or plug socket will do the trick.

• baymee
    13 years ago

Use a 5/8 deep socket. I know it works. Otherwise, look for a stone at the base of the plug.

• edthedead
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After digging, I found the socket that works. Now, do I need to get a spark plug from Kohler? Napa guy wasn't any help.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Well what Mystic Sizing did you use ?

• baymee
    13 years ago

napa has to have a plug......or get one for you

• baymee
    13 years ago

Wow, that's a nice sale price for that $4 plug.

• lbpod
    13 years ago

I guess PT Barnum was right.

• edthedead
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It seems to be my luck of the draw. A couple of years back , I got to buy an expensive plug for a trimmer too. That one went to the landfill. Fortunately the riders in our family take same 'ole same ole' plugs! This one isn't a normal plug. It has a smaller body than the plug I thought it came with. Absolutely no fuel in the float bowl for now.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

I have bought the Kohler plug too as I didn't see much available for that plug. If this helps others, the Kohler plug is 1413206S / Champion 8815. Maybe there are now, I haven't looked. On your not getting fuel, these had a habit of the float valve corroding to the body on the early ones. Best to clean it up and put a new kit in it.Kohler says the plating is better now. You can get by with cleaning up the old needle as well, touch up the ribs on the needle w/ a file if you're on the cheap. Flush all the old fuel / water out and you're good to go.

• edthedead
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope that this isn't a sign of how my equipment is going to treat me this year. Thanks for the info.

• andyma_gw
    13 years ago

Eeep, I thought Kohlers were a good engine maker. The carbs sound horrendous. As for having a proprietory plug, that is just plain stoopid.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

There is nothing really wrong with the XT's. I don't see much difference between them and any other Chonda. In the spirit of heck- I think XT's, Honda's GC , MTD's import all use the same flywheel keys even. I would rather work on a GC anyday.

• edthedead
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It runs like it should again. The needle was a corroded mess, so I left the dealer with a kit. Do I assume that the corrosion was from storage? Would an addition of 2 stroke oil to the gas help?

• baymee
    13 years ago

I would suspect untreated ethanol gas did that damage. Use Startron in your fuel.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Ed: If your fuel has ethanol additive and your store your fuel for more than 30 days you will continue to have carb related fuel restriction issues and fuel line deterioration . As Bay has advised a fuel treatment / conditioner will be required to reduce the potential harm that ethanol has within Small Engine fuel circuits . Stabil Products for prolonged storage are quite helpful , along with the use of Fuel conditioners such as Lucus / Duralube or if possible the Startron Product , which a Forum Member previously has earmarked as a very sound product for fuel treatment of Gas and Diesel Engines . Goggle it and if available utilize it accordingly . Unfortunately I have not been able to locate any locally , but the tributes look very interesting indeed .

• tomplum
    13 years ago

I don't know if a light 2 cycle would hurt really, but there are hopefully better products for the job. I may just order some Startron on my next Stens order. It looks as though that there must be different strengths. Some specs 1 oz to 6 gallons of fuel and some 1 oz to 16 gallons. I've been using the marine Stabil as rdaystrom I believe pointed out could be an improvement over the regular Stabil. Hopefully you won't have issues anyways w/ the new needle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Startron

• edthedead
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There seems to be interesting claims made at that Starbrite website. How much real experience does anyone here have with it?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Yes as Tom suggested it was rdaystom that originally brought light to the Startron Product . I think only Baymee may have utilized this product ? I would if it was conveniently available in the Great White North lol .

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

I haven't been able to find Startron around here either. Their site says that WalMart carries it but my local one doesn't.

• baymee
    13 years ago

Locally, it sells for about $7 per bottle. I googled it and found it at an Ace Hardware in Brooklyn for $4 a bottle, so I loaded up.

It's too soon for me to know how it works. I'm trusting in the testimonials for now.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

I sell those little pouches of Fresh Start from Briggs. I thought that I may put some of the little Startron too. The larger bottles are really a better buy, but the shelf life is 2 years. The Fresh Start doesnt have a shelf life. I know that other stabilizers get little crystals in them when they sit. I don't really know which would be more effective. I wonder about some of the claims too. I tend to think that any of them are effective for at least 6 months for 10% eth gas, which is all we need typically anyways.

• lbpod
    13 years ago

Has everyone forgotten about SEAFOAM?

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

"Has everyone forgotten about SEAFOAM?"

Nope. It's still my fuel cleaner of choice. I just wanted to try the Startron. Seafoam goes in the first and last tanks of the season. MMO in every tank throughout.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Shuzam ! Found a local Dealer for Starton . Will be picking up a bottle this week . Can't wait to trial it on the Ole Diesel . Yes Seafoam is a proven product along with Lucas , but have to give Rdaystom recommendation a try ! :)