Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crodon1963

Toro String Trimmers

crodon1963
12 years ago

Does anyone know who makes the engine for the toro 51974 string trimmer? Its 2cycle.

Comments (4)

• LawnJohnSilver
    12 years ago

Apparently, it's a Poulan motor.

• crodon1963
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw it at HD the other day,seemed like decent trimmer. I was looking at the echo srm230 and saw the toro for a hundred bucks less and it says its commercial grade.

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

I looked at the Toro and reached the same conclusion that it was a glorified Poulan. I believe it is a little upscale from the typical Poulan but it has that goofy easy pull starter mechanism. I had a similar starter on a Poulan chainsaw and it was an awful thing that failed continuously. For that reason alone I did not buy the Toro. The Echo is way better but it is more expensive. Worth it in my opinion. This comes from years of being a Poulan defender and owner. On my last Poulan the carb, fuel lines, and primer bulb all fell to pieces (they literally crumbled) in less than one year. Ethanol or not that stuff just wasn't quality. My brother's Echo is still going 8 years later on the original fuel lines, carb, and primer bulb....with no failures. So....yes there is good and bad quality in these critical components. The ethanol in the gas has accelerated the failure of these things and some manufacturers have let their quality slide. I think some of the problem is they are getting some of if not all the components from China with little control over final quality until it is too late. So get an Echo, a Stihl, a Tanaka, Maruyama, Red Max, or Shindaiwa. Avoid Poulan, Ryobi, Toro, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, or Homelite, among others. I never said that in the past. I bought and used Ryobi with good success for years until recently when I encountered these ultra cheap awful pieces of junk. The cheapo brands are not as good as they once were.

• crodon1963
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the post rdaystrom. I know the quality of the lesser brands have realy gone down hill. I had a refurbished ryobi curve shaft for over ten years never gave me one problem and last season it finely quit running.I think I'll go with the echo either the srm230 or srm265.