Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
speedlever

HRX217HYA vs Toro 20383

speedlever
11 years ago

Similar machines with non-steel decks and blade stop. The Toro is a bit cheaper, but has the Chinese engine. Not sure if that's a con or not, but it leaves a question mark.

I need to replace my old JD 14PZ (17 years of faithful service) that is reaching EOL. I don't really want to spend that much for my yard that takes 45-60 minutes to mow. A push mower is fine, but the only ones I find with non-steel decks and blade stop tend to be the self-propelled higher end stuff. And since I tend to keep them for the long haul, it may be appropriate to spend a bit more to feature-up.

I mostly mulch, so don't do a lot of restarts. But the blade control will come in handy when it's time to mulch and/or bag the leaves. Cranking back up after rolling 25 ft and filling the bag will get old pretty quickly.

Any thoughts or is it 6 of one and a half dozen of the other?

Comments (16)

• roadbike
    11 years ago

Pick the one that has the features that make the most sense for your mowing situation. Your comments make me think that a bbc would be very useful for you. If so then spend the extra $$ and get the mower that will minimize the number of manual restarts.

• speedlever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Being unable to find any mowers that offer both a non-steel deck and BBC in a push mower config, I decided to buy the Honda. It was a little less than $80 more than the Toro, but I couldn't get past the Chinese built engine on the 20383. It may well be the equal of the Honda engine, but the Honda is a known entity. Considering how long I keep my mowers, it just didn't make sense to risk long term reliability on the unknown engine.

I like the personal pace system and would have preferred it. Had Toro put a Honda engine in that configuration, that may well have altered the outcome in my particular case.

• canuck88
    11 years ago

If you were fine with push, you should have considered the Toro 22155 light duty commercial... GSV190 engine, steel wheels, aluminum deck, great mulching and bagging...

• speedlever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

But no blade control. That was my criteria, non-steel deck with BBC. The 21255 is close, but still short. What's the price on the 21255, out of curiosity?

• speedlever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops. Meant 22155 above.

• canuck88
    11 years ago

For me, the BBC is just one more thing to go wrong... when I bag (which is about 4-5 times/year) I usually have to stop 4 times - any engine that can't handle being restarted 4 times has other issues :)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

If you only have to stop 4-5 times when you bag, you must have a small lawn.
    I love the BBC on my 23 year old Honda. I start the engine once with one pull and shut it off when I'm done or run out of gas.

• speedlever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"when I bag (which is about 4-5 times/year) I usually have to stop 4 times - any engine that can't handle being restarted 4 times has other issues :)"

Heh! It's not the engine having an issue with multiple restarts!

Much as I hate to admit it, I'm not as young as I once was. But I suppose that's the good news.

• canuck88
    11 years ago

Bill, my lawn is just shy of 0.25ac... If I had anything bigger, I'd probably get a riding mower :)

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

I have a HRX217HXA which from what I can tell is the 5-6 year old equivalent to the new HYA. I couldn't be more happy with it. The mower stats first pull every time with a weak baby pull, the BBC is great, the Hydro tranny allows you to mow around even the most precarious of lawn obstacles at .1 mph (I believe) at a light jog if you please and the mower mulches so finely (even when I cut at least 9" off of soaking wet grass!) I couldn't see ANY remnants of the mulched grass.

I cannot speak to the TORO mowers ability but I do know that the GCV190 on my mower was made in Alpharetta GA and is a wonderful engine. Not as fuel efficient as the GCV160 I had in my 12 year old HRT but that's the price of an extra 1.2hp and almost 2 ft-lbs! It will mow through anything you throw in front of it.

Here is a pic of that "at least 9" of sopping wet grass I cut. See how cleanly it mowed yourself.

[IMG]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/bsmith782/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4625.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/bsmith782/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7091.jpg[/IMG]

• speedlever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a heads-up, to post pics on the GW, check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: posting pics to GW

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Thanks speedlever. Ill just post the links to photobucket below.

Before.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/bsmith782/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4075.jpg

After.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/bsmith782/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4625.jpg

[IMG]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/bsmith782/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3995.jpg[/IMG]

This pic shows just how sopping wet it was that morning. It had rained from ~8pm two nights before to 11pm the night prior to cutting, or about 27h! This mowing was done at about 8am or in other words there was not really any good sunlight to dry the ground at all. The only thing I did to create this little muddy spot was turn around at the end of my mow line, this was from my feet!

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/bsmith782/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0750.jpg

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Okay so that still didnt work. Just copy the link/s, paste in your address bar and check them out.

• speedlever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Let me help you out:

Before:
    {{gwi:129282}}

After:
    {{gwi:129283}}

• speedlever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well shucks. They looked great on preview. I have no idea why they disappeared when I posted the msg.

• redav
    11 years ago

I have the same question as the original post. I am curious if there are any additions to the thread based on user experience. I can purchase either the Toro or Honda at $600. The only two differences I see is that Honda has a lifetime deck warranty. The Toro has a 5 year start gaarantee. The other may be the engine. Toro is self branded but who know where built. Honda is honda.