Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_tc

Tru-Cut C-25 Need Help

Susan_TC
12 years ago

Hello,

Just got a used (3yr old) Tru-Cut 25" C-25 H10 (10-blade, Honda GX160 engine) mower and wondered if someone out there has one of these? I called TC and got a manual, but it had nothing about the engine or the throttle lever mounted at the base of the handles. So I downloaded the engine manual separately, but it doesn't seem to be the exact engine and of course doesn't reference the mower's throttle! What I

want to know is how I am supposed to set everything to start and run the mower properly... when cold and when warm.

Here is where my confusion lies: the engine has a petcock (fuel) lever and a choke lever, which are self-explanatory, but then there is a throttle lever on the mower itself up by the handles. At the top of the mower's throttle lever's range is "STOP" and at the bottom, "CHOKE". This lever manipulates an entirely separate arm or lever down on the engine that is just above the engine's designated choke and petcock levers.So why does it say "CHOKE" on the throttle?? And where is this throttle lever supposed to be set for running?

I did start the mower and mowed the entire lawn, and it ran good, but I'm not sure I had it set right, as the choke on the engine itself was set to about 1/4 off the "CLOSED" position (according to the manual anyway)... and SHOULD have been (per the manual again) set all the way to the OPEN position once warm... which would have put it in the same position as the petcock lever. But if I moved the choke to that position, the engine raced like it would explode. IOW, it sounded like the choke was ON in that position instead of OFF! ?>

If I backed it all the way off the other way, the mower idled nice and slow and even, but when I engaged the thumb-button drive (rod) to propel forward, the mower moved too slowly (almost not at all)... so I moved the choke lever on the engine to (like I said earlier) about 1/4 off CLOSED. And I THINK the throttle was about halfway between STOP and CHOKE.

But maybe I should have the choke all the way OFF and use the throttle lever on the mower to manipulate the speed of the thumb drive? And if so, I guess I would move it down towards "CHOKE" ... I didn't do that b/c I was afraid that was putting the choke on, but now I don't think it has anything to do with the choke, but it just supposed to be set all the way there when starting, right? Then once warm, if the drive is too fast, you can back off on the throttle lever... ? Is that right?

I'd appreciate any help!

Comments (2)