Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briankmizell

1981 Dixon ZTR424 engine swap

briankmizell
11 years ago

My son recently got a Dixon ZTR 424 zero turn mower, the engine was shot. I had a 2003 MTD yard machines riding mower, the deck was trash but good 20 HP Tecumseh engine. So we swapped it over to the ZTR 424.

My problem is that I used the wiring harness from the Yard Machines rider. I omitted the safety switches, I also had to get a new ignition switch. It's a (Prime Line 7-01895) It has six pins with the sixth pin being off to the side of the harness plug (I believe its for the magneto) the other five pins are typical to that on almost every other riding mower switch.

I have been searching the net for wiring diagrams with omitted safety switches (such as the PTO, Clutch/brake, seat, etc)

I looked at my Yard Machines manual, and I did what I thought necessary to remove the safety switches and just straight lined the power from proper wire on the ignition switch to the proper place on the starter solenoid.

It wont crank using the ignition, but I can use a hot wire from the (+) battery terminal to the correct place on the starter solenoid to engage the starter.

I have put a new ignition switch, and a starter solenoid, all wire connections are secure.

If anyone has some advice on how to wire the switch with out using the saftey switches, or if you know of a site with a diagram for this... please share this with me.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Comments (2)