Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_dave_b

Countax Hydrostatic Rider 30 blown solenoid?

Mr_Dave_B
10 years ago

Hi

I bought an old house and inherited a ride on lawn mower. I took it out for its first cut last weekend and it was going fine - it cut out a couple of times. But I was able to restart. Last time it cut out I couldn't get it to start. Wont turnover at all.
I checked the battery and its good. I followed the 12 v and checked on the coil terminal for 12v on the starter solenoid when turning ignition - all good! But there was no 12v on output side going to the starter motor!
So it looks as if the solenoid is blown?
But what blew it?
I cannot push the mower backwards - it will go forwards ok - but not backwards.
If I lift the mower off the floor the wheels will turn - if I tip it on one side so one wheel off the ground I can push it both directions. But not when both rear wheels are on the floor.
So it seems to me it is stuck in gear (but why can I roll it forward). Could that give the same symptom as the solenoid blown?

Comments (4)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Get the battery charged and TESTED.
    Just because you have 12 volts, doesn't mean you have the capacity to crank the engine.
    Else, we'd use 8 penlight batteries in series.

What is the BATTERY voltage when trying to crank?

• Mr_Dave_B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bill

No it's definitely not the battery.
    Today I jumped the solenoid by connecting the battery straight to the starter. I got it going. So the battery is good.
    Re the pushing in reverse. I managed to get it to roll in reverse by playing around with the catch under the engine by the right rear wheel.
    I put it into the disengage position and was able to push it (however I had tried that several times when it wouldn't work - so there is something wrong with that).
    Then I tried using the lawnmower. I found that I could get it to go but I had to balance the clutch. If I let the foot break/clutch off altogether the engine stalled. So with the clutch half off I was able to use the mower and cut part of the lawn.
    It kept conking out every now and then when I let too much pressure off the clutch. Why do I have to ride it on the clutch like that with the foot brake half pressed is beyond me?

The starter might be a bit weak as it sometimes jammed when I was jumping it. Hitting it with a hammer got it going again.
    So Solenoid and starter need changing. But don't know about the riding it with break/clutch half pressed?
    But the battery is good.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Having to keep the clutch depressed to some extent to prevent stalling indicates the seat switch is out of adjustment/bad/disconnected.
    It's a dual purpose switch-
    1/2 is closed when the pedal is pushed in to complete the crank circuit.
    1/2 is closed when released. This is in series with the seat switch, which likely must be open to prevent the engine kill wire from being grounded.

HOWEVER-
    I don't have a schematic of the wiring.
    Seat switches can be implemented in either normally open or normally closed configurations.

• Mr_Dave_B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK - here is a lesson for those with this machine!

1. If there is no 12 v on the red cable from the solenoid to the starter motor when you turn the key - the solenoid is either jammed or broken.
    2. The lawn mower will push forward only not backwards unless you have the catch disengaged under the engine and down by the right rear wheel.
    3. Any poor switch connection such as seat or brake will cause the engine to stall when you release the brake/clutch. Mine was a bad connection under the seat.

I just need to buy a new solenoid now.