Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
szndvy

Carb Tool

szndvy
11 years ago

I recall when 2 cycle engines had standard high low adjustment screws - then we had screws with plastic caps (tamper proof) and now 'special' screws...D, double D, pacman etc...various spline configs.

You would think they would come with the purchase of a new trimmer etc, not the case...I realize there are emission standards, but thats for CA not the other lower 48

ok, done with rant

Comments (8)

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Its cheaper for the mfgr to make one type of part, rather than one for each staate. thats why we all get the college-boy trick of unrepairable stuff! RJ

• romore_gw
    11 years ago

Thank Mr Nader and the EPA. The carburetor manufacturers supply the tools to the OEM for final adjustment before leaving the factory, no one else is allowed to have them.

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

However, you can get the tool you need from a number of suppliers. First you need to look and see what type you need, then just order it online. I got mine on ebay, and it saved my trimmer - I was ready to trash it. I had to take the shroud off and cover the air intake to start it. This involved some gymnastics :). Then, it would 'lean out' and wouldn't take the throttle. Some experimentation will show you which needle is the high speed or low speed. Remember to bottom out the needles very gently when counting turns for future reference.

• freginold
    11 years ago

Foley-Belsaw sells a bunch of different carb tools, and Amazon probably does as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Lawn Mower Repair Blog

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

Calaforigners kill me, they complain about the LA smog, but upper majority drive there big gas guzzing SUV or Merc. then expect the working class to conform to all there stupid smog laws while the movie stars, policktisions, and lawyers are getting 5 miles to the gallon. But, aferall the laws are only for us commoner's anyway. internal combustion engines in LA and Sand freeby Franscuko should be banned, let the freeways be clogged by bike riders and there hired help for south mow the lawn with pair of hand clippers but the would still complain about all the gas (farts) being emitted. Make them lazy #$stards do it them selfs. Give it back to Mexico (which stole it from the indians also) I sure they will be concerned with all the air quality standards the blows over the boarder.

• Greg Goyeneche
    11 years ago

It's too bad we have so many ignorant, illinformed, and stupid people on this forum, who don't let the facts get in the way of their biased interpretation. The regulations, while influenced by the CARB, are actually formulated by the EPA. Read the link to "nevadawalrus" posting on the PERR website. Bob has been around more than 40 years and has forgotten more than most of the bloviating ignoramuses will ever know. Bob used to participate in this forum before he became disgusted with the dive to the bottom. The PERR website is more for professionals.

For those of you old enough to remember, people were sure that the Calif ARB and the EPA had ruined the automotive market in the 1970's and 1980's. That was when Detroit (and the imports) had to respond with lower compression, AIR, exhaust recirc, catalytic converters, and the rest. Guess what? By the 1990's the car industry had regained most of the performance of the 1960's at much lower emission levels. By the 2000's horsepower ratings were available which exceeded even the most thinly disguised racecars put on the street in the 1960's.

Just in case you think I'm one of the treehuggers with a Sierra Club card, I used to drive a Taurus SHO which I consider one of the early modern supercars, and now have a BMW M5. With a 500hp V10 it will run with any 1960's car sold off the dealership floor, including the Street Hemi and the L88, and has the numbers to back it up.

I get 15mpg and am completely unapologetic about it. If I need better mileage, I drive my F350 dually with the 7.3L diesel,

Here is a link that might be useful: PERR Website, Third Comment

• homegrown55
    11 years ago

I think I will just say what everyone else is thinking here:
    The EPA sucks.

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

It did sent all the jOBs to mexico and chinaland, that says it all BMW owner and from the NE bragging on I own BMW, probably the same ones that complain about the college death that expect the real working stiffs or mommy and daddy to pay for their spring break vacations and their basic mode of transportation BMW's and SUVs. Anybody needs wake up call it's you Pr####.