Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
B&S 20 hp hard starting cold

Posted by haskins none (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 8:06

I have an Intek v twin 406777-0151E1 about 14 years old. Compression checks at 130-135, valves adjusted yearly as required. Uses very little oil. Fuel pump volume appears good, spark good. The usual starting procedure is choke on full, throttle full open, crank for 10-15 seconds continuous, bursts do no good. I took the fuel line from carb to fuel pump loose at the fuel pump, propped it up in air, filled it with gas, and several hours later the gas had disappeared. Was thinking leaking needle valve or carb solenoid valve causing this. Just purchased this mower a year ago, and have no idea if carb has ever been worked on. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: B&S 20 hp hard starting cold

Smell the oil for the presence of gas. that would indicate fuel leaking through the needle/seat assembly.
However, if it's a fuel pump engine, it may only empty the fuel line. That relatively small amount could easily get missed.

IF the carb solenoid is leaking, you should be able to see it unless it's very slow.

A few things you can check/try.

Make sure the choke plate is fully closing on the carb.

After the mower has sat for the "usual" extended period of time, remove the carb bowl and see if it's empty. That would tell you if it's leaking out or not.

Try priming the carb first with 2-3 teaspoons of gas and see if it fires "right up".

o

The carb solenoid LEAKING is not a problem with starting. It also does not affect whether gas can leak thru the carb into the cylinder. It only affects gas flow thru the main jet.

The carb solenoid does have to open allowing gas to pass for the engine to start.

Priming the carb is a good idea.

Walt Conner

o

Ding, ding, ding. The winner is "choke not fully closed". Had this engine off this winter to replace pto and sump oil seal and gasket. When I reinstalled the cables, I only put them back where they had been for the last 12 years and didn't check anything. When I bought this Dixon mower it was remarked that it was cold blooded. Maybe not anymore, started in under 5 seconds after sitting for a few days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here