Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best lawn mower for bermuda grass

Posted by tiredofweeds (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 9:01

Getting ready to sod my lawn with bermuda and needed recommendations for the best reel mower for the money. I have looked at both self propelled and push models. I just dont want to shell out $800 and buy a dud when $250 push mower is just as good. Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best lawn mower for bermuda grass

I have been doing a lot of looking at reel mower options for Bermuda. I'll add a couple of links (I hope right) that discuss reel mowers.

The one that seems to be the winner is one made by the Amish called the Mascot Silent Cut that comes in an 18" and 21". A little pricier than most reel mowers (which most won't do a good job on Bermuda) but gets accolades for Bermuda. They also mention one from Scotts and American.

Really good articles and reviews. Hope it helps.

P.S. if you have a large yard you may want something motorized or a gang reel pull set-up.

http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com/mower_compare.htm#not_right

http://www.reelmowersetc.com/silent_Cut_18.htm

o
RE: Best lawn mower for bermuda grass

I just purchased a Mascot after trying a Brill, McLane 10 blade motorized, Tru-Cut 20" motorized and a cheap chinese version from Target. The motorized versions just didn't work on my bumpy, steep sloped terrain. The Brill was good until late in the season when the turf got really thick. Then it was too difficult to push, despite using it 3x a week. The Mascot is very heavy so I like it the best by far. I'll let you know come August.

I just installed 500 sq. ft. of new sod. It is so bumpy, I wouldn't even try to use my reel mower. I use my Honda rotoary for now. Once I level it, I will use the reel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here