Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonjaze

I've got a mess-cleaning oil out

dragonjaze
12 years ago

An ignorant person (not naming names, but the person in the mirror sure looks guilty) tipped the push mower the absolute worst way and now the spark plug and air filter are fouled.

I'm replacing the spark plug and air filter, but how do I clean the oil out of where it's not supposed to be? I've pulled the start cord with the spark plug removed and have had oil shoot out across the garage, barely missing the cat (I have to admit, I laughed...).

It's a 6.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine. Any tips on how to clean this mess up and get my mower running again? The lawn is about long enough to swallow small pets and children.

Comments (5)

• Greg Goyeneche
    12 years ago

After you hae spun the engine several times with the plug out, replace the plug and leave air filter off for the moment. Engine should now crank and run, but plug may foul, meaning you have to clean oil off plug, reinstall and crank again.

Once the engine starts, it will smoke like crazy, then clear up, and then begin to smoke again. This is normal.

First smoke is oil in the combustion chamber, intake manifold, etc. When it starts smoking a second time, this is oil in the muffler, now hot enough to burn off. May take as much as 15 minutes or more to burn off completely.

You make need to use a squirt of gasoline or starting fluid to get engine to light off initially. Use sparingly.

Finally, don't forget to replace air filter.

• dragonjaze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"You make need to use a squirt of gasoline or starting fluid to get engine to light off initially. Use sparingly. "

Thank you so much! this is the general plan I was going to follow, but where do I squirt the gas into if I can't get it started? sorry, fairly ignorant on small engines.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Into the place on the carburetor where the air filter is attached! (I didn't say "clamped on" because he'd be looking for the bolt that holds the clamp on tight! SHEESH!
    Don't squirt gasolene or starting fluid into the air filter-because the filter will remove it.
    And, always tip the machine on the side away from the carburetor/air filter, to avoid the mess you have gotten yerself into!

• dragonjaze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

trust me, I'll remember which way to tip it NOW!

Thanks for the help, guys. Now just to get the man-creature to do the yanking on the cord.

• dragonjaze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank all of you for your help. Got the lawn mower running this morning, and we are no longer the disgrace of the neighborhood :)