Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bart1_gw

How to mow in reverse with a Troy Bilt Pony

bart1
17 years ago

I just purchased a Troy Bilt Pony lawn tractor but unfortunatley it has a safety feature that doesn't allow you to mow when you are in reverse. You have to disengage the blades, shift into reverse, turn, shift back into forward and then re-engage the blades. This is time consuming and annoying!

The guy at the hardware store said you can disable this feature by jumping a switch or something like that on the mower. He said it was easy to do, but I'm not sure how.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• jerryg_nj
    17 years ago

Just found this old post. Here is what I did to mine.

Just forward of the left rear axle, adjacent to the FNR shift lever, there is an electrical switch located at the bottom inside of the frame. It is easier to feel for it than to see it. I pulled off the single yellow-wire with the slip-on connector. I taped the loose wire to a nearby wire bundle so the wire won't tangle in the drive mechanism. It should be easy to reconnect, should I ever decide to do so.

Alternatively, maybe better, I could have used a foot of that flexible plastic harness shroud sold at auto-supply stores to bundle the yellow wire with the others.

All other safety switches work as before, the mower can be reversed without disengaging the blades, and yes, I always look back before doing so.

• metal
    17 years ago

Happy mowing...

• colt357_2004
    17 years ago

Thats the one safety I would eliminate without much worry.
    I have a 18hp Craftsman and had to rewire the electric PTO, the old wires got against the exhaust and burned. I don't know what we did, but we bypassed all the safeties. I would try to start with the PTO on , in gear!!! You could get off while mowing, the seat switch so many ppl hate didn't work either. It was a lose cannon. Not safe!!
    It blew a fuse and I replaced it, that is all I touched, that I know of, although I did have to move some wires to get to the fuse holder. And everything started to work correctly again.
    The old GT18 is on it's last legs and I went to lowes and looked at the pony. Didn't talk to a salesman, it will be spring before I purchase something.
    I didn't know it wouldn't mow in reverse, not a big problem in my yard. I did notice and didn't like the fact that the Plastic Gastank, is under the cowling, with the motor!!!!
    I really can't spend alot for a mower right now and have two acres to mow. They put the john deeres in front of troy builts and huskies,and thier nice, but higher than my budget.
    I posted this in the lawn tractor forum also, but thought I would tack my question onto this post, like a rider on a bill through congress.
    Do you like your troy built pony?
    Does it get the job done?
    Would you recommend one to a friend?

• splicer
    17 years ago

Not having owned one, just saw at Lowes...I recommend getting a used tractor for LESS $$$...

• colt357_2004
    17 years ago

Splicer that's a viable option. I know where there is a man in Springtown Texas that fixes mowers and sells them. Sort of a profitable hobby for him I think.
    He has had some nice tractors out by the highway on several occations, but my old one was working fine.
    May just call him come spring, he will have had all winter to rebuild some tractors....lol

• kiddranger
    17 years ago

I know this is an old posting - I know its not a great thing to disconnect saftey switches - actually it shouldnt be done. But the reverse one is so annoying! My only brand new tractor ive ever bot, a 1992 White LT12, had that reverse switch and i disconnected it, i also did the seat one, as i went to adjust myself on the seat after an hr of mowing it was annoying having it shut off. Ill mention too out of my current fleet of 15 tractors where i am ( not counting my other 2 at my folks place) only a couple have the clutch switch and thets aboot it. My tractors are so old and abused most saftey switches were bypassed long before i did any and some were so old and worn they didnt work anyway. I figure since im the only one who drives them its allright, and since we dont have any kids i dont have any worries there either. I dont suggest that the switches be bypassed tho.
    Kidd