Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ariens Engine Replacement

Posted by willamingo (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 10:25

I have an Ariens model 911019, 21" self propelled with a 5hp Tecumseh engine. The engine is shot and I am considering replacing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like the mower. The self propelled is sturdy. The bag fills evenly and is a good size. It has good lift.

Briggs, Tecumseh, Honda, Kawasaki?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ariens Engine Replacement

All the above engines will fit. The key thing to look at is The length of the shaft and the thickness of the shaft. If you get an engine with the same specs as indicated, it will be plug and play a 20 minute job if not then you will have to fart around and make changes.

o
RE: Ariens Engine Replacement

As suggested by Rolm, get the shaft length and diameter off the original engine.

A replacement Tecumseh would be the best choice - except Tecumseh is out of business. If you do find another Tecumseh, replacement parts such as carburetors are drying up.

For this reason, a Briggs Quantum may be your best, most ecomnomical choice. These are available in all types of shaft sizes. The bolt pattern is the same as the original engine. The Briggs Quantum is fairly inexpensive and is a good running engine with reasonable power. There are tons of these in the boneyards that could be refurbished for a servicing fee.

The Honda GC is another good engine, but will not is not as common in the various mower shops. A new engine would probably need to be ordered from the distributors. This engine is more expensive than the Briggs.

The Kawasaki is a premium engine that would be expensive

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here