Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman mower-free!

Posted by rustyj14 W/PA (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 11 at 11:39

A friend told me, if i came over to his house, he'd give me his old Craftsman self-propelled mower for free! Best words i like to hear.
so, off i go to his home. He trotted out the worst looking Craftsman mower i have seen for quite a spell. One of the green ones. The front tires were worn smooth, the thing was awful looking, the handle bars had that spread-eagle look, and he said he used it to mow the grass in the dog pen! OOOOHHH!!
Well, i figured the parts alone would be worth something. I gave it a drink, pulled the rope 4-5 times, and it ran well! WOW!
I scavenged 2 good front wheels from a parts mower out back, fixed the goofy air filter. The bolt had twisted out of its bracket. Found the blade was on upside down-the guy isn't much of a mechanic--sharpened it and put it on right way. I scraped 1077 lbs. of dead grass out of the deck area, greased the wheels, and today is shine-up day. Although---3 or 4 weeks of rain most every day doesn't bode well for mowing the front or back yards! I'll need a sickle bar, tractor drawn mower soon, if the rain don't stop!
A good friend came in yesterday, so i loaded him up with a bunch of weed wackers, and a leaf blower, a lawn sweeper, and some other things. Most of them do run, and he said some things i gave him last summer, worked good, too. At 86 YOA, its time to clear out the good stuff, and junk the rest. If it ever dries up here!
Rusty Jones

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman mower-free!

Since the mower was used in the dog pen,
I'm guessing all of the 1077 lbs. that
you scraped off the underdeck was not
all grass clippings. Just a guess though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here