Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda Lawnmower: Self Propulsion Won't Work

Posted by john59 PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 12:28

I have a 9 year old Honda 215 Harmony SDA, 3 speed, self propelled.
The drive belt came off, which I managed to get back on both pulleys, using surgical pliers. The problem is that when I engage the drive bar to go forward, it doesn't self propel.
What's wrong ? What do I do ? Help, the grass is getting tall and the repair shop has a 3 week backlog.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda Lawnmower: Self Propulsion Won't Work

Several things can be wrong. The drive belt should not come off on its own. There is a key on the crankshaft that makes the pulley on the crankshaft turn. It could be sheared. The belt could be too worn to work anymore. They do wear and the wedge shaped profile gets too thin. There is a spring from the mower deck to the transmission that can break. The cable from the handle to the transmission has a dogleg on the end that engages the clutch in the trans. That too can break.

o
RE: Honda Lawnmower: Self Propulsion Won't Work

Just found the site and can see how helpful it can be. I have a 215 and just discovered the belt was off the drive pulley. It does not seem obvious on how to get it back on without taking the thing apart. What did you wind up doing after your last post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here