Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freedomeagle

Gas in oil

freedomeagle
10 years ago

All, this a great forum. Thanks to all the pros who post here, I was able to identify and solve my gas in oil problem. Wound up having to put a new carb on but I think I have her fixed. My question now is, after draining out the oil and gas mixture, turning her over a time or two with the plug out to blow the gas out of the cylinder, can I just fill her back up with oil or do I need flush the remaining gas residue out of the crankcase somehow. If so, what do I do?

Thanks all,

Paul

Comments (10)

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

If you allow it to thouroughly drain you should be fine. Perhaps drain it, fill it, cut the lawn then drain/refill again to be sure.

• baymee
    10 years ago

If I was going to drain, refill, and drain, I'd do it after a few minutes of running.

• walt2002
    10 years ago

I be sure they drained thoroughly, refill with SAE 30 oil and don't worry about it. Do put an inline gas shut off valve on it and use it whenever engine is not running. Little remaining gas in crankcase will evaporate when engine warms up.

Walt Conner

• freedomeagle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for your comments.

Walt, I had previously seen your advice on the fuel shut off. She's got a new one on her now.

Thanks again for the advice,
    Paul

• freedomeagle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Walt, now I have a different, minor issue. The choke on the new carb is much different than on the old. The old choke was spring loaded and when you moved the throttle from choke to Fast, the spring load on the choke automatically reset.On the new carb, it is not spring loaded and has three different positions. The only way I have figured how how to move it is to manually do so or am I missing something? I can email you some pics. Haven't figured out how to load them here.

Thanks
    Paul

• baymee
    10 years ago

What is the model of the engine and the part number of the carb you bought?

• freedomeagle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Baymee, don't have the model number handy but the invoice says the carb is Part number 698171.

I have attached a pic of what the choke looks like on the new carb

• baymee
    10 years ago

That's for a tractor motor, I believe. There are so many variations, that you should put this on the tractor forum of this section.

• freedomeagle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Baymee but you have some wrong info. It's a lawn mower with a 12.5 HP engine

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

So is a 12.5 HP mower engine smaller than a 10 HP tractor engine?
    There's a point where there's a lot of crossover, so you can call that engine either one. It's a moot point.

A better response would have been the Model & Type numbers from the engine (as baymee requested) so one can look at the IPL for that SPECIFIC engine.
    That way, you could have ordered the correct carb.

The carb you ordered fits "some" 28 series engines.