Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Boy 10683 Mower Won't Start

Posted by The_Vito none (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 13:30

I have a Lawn Boy 1683 mower. Its performance has been superb since I purchased it in 2005. The last time I used it was about three weeks ago, when it worked fine. Now it won't start. It has fresh gasoline, a clean air filter, and the spark plug appears to be in good condition, but I cleaned it anyway.

I sprayed a shot of Chemtool cleaner into the air intake and the mower started up right away, so I assume the ignition system is working fine. The engine ran for maybe 10 to 15 seconds, and then it quit. A fuel problem?

So I drained the gas tank, removed the carburetor, and cleaned it with Chemtool. There was a tiny bit of gooey, yellowish gunk at the bottom of the float chamber, underneath the float, but otherwise everything looked fine.

I reassembled everything, and the problem was unchanged; the mower won't start. Another quick shot of Chemtool to the air intake and it started again, ran for 10 to 20 seconds (kind of pulsing...not at even speed), and then it quit.

I opened the drain plug at the bottom of the float chamber and gasoline streamed out, so the fuel is definitely getting into that part of the carburetor.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Boy 10683 Mower Won't Start

Did the carb bowl have a little brass nut holding it on?
If so, did you clean the tiny hole(s) in it?

o
RE: Lawn Boy 10683 Mower Won't Start

Tilt the mower up on its RH side wheels (carb on the high side). Take out the brass bowl nut - bowl will probably stay on, and no fuel will come out. Get a wire tie off a loaf of bread and strip the paper off. Look for a small bleed hole near the end of the bolt and rod it out with the soft steel wire. Check the other larger holes and shoot some carb spray through all holes. Reinstall orifice bolt, set the mower down, do the normal prime and it should run for you. If you use Sta-Bil in your gas along with a couple oz of Marvel Mystery Oil, you won't be doing this every 60 days.
Almost forgot; for the future, mention that you have a Tecumseh LEV195 engine on that LB.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here