Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diytrying_gw

Homelite String Trimmer Fuel Tank Help

diytrying
14 years ago

I have an old string trimmer (ut15151 or 54) that has never had any problems. However, the little filter inside the fuel tank has broken off the gas line. I was going to replace the whole fuel tank but haven't been able to find one so far. Is it necessary to do that or is there another fix?

Thank you for any advice....

Comments (4)

• Greg Goyeneche
    14 years ago

You should be able to replace the fuel line, fish the old filter out of the tank, and reuse with the new line.

Two things to keeep in mind. You need special fuel grade PVC Tubing. Tygon brand is yellow and fairly expensive at $.75 to $1.00 a foot. The clear stuff at Home Depot and Lowes is OK with fuel and much cheaper ($.15 - $.20/ft) but the sizing usually won't work. Correct tubing from McMaster-Carr in Tygon is 5555K43 9/64 OD x 5/64 ID and 5555K22 3/16 OD x 3/32 ID. Both are about $.75 per foot. You need to measure which one is appropriate for your machine. Size is critical, because too big and you won't get it into the tank; too small and the tank will leak where the tubing passes thru.

Second item is to install in tank. Homelite like other cheaper trimmers does not use a fitting in the tank. Rather fuel line passes through smaller hole in tank and pressure on tubing maintains the seal. To install you need to cut tubing at a 45 degree or more angle to provide a sharp point. Thread this thru the hole by twisting and pushing gently. When you get enough through, you can then grab the end with needle-nose pliers and pull more through. Cut the end off square and push on the filter/pickup stone. Then pull the excess tubing back out of the tank, leaving enough of a service loop to permit the stone always travel by gravity to the lowest part of the tank. Usually three inches is about right. Now connect the other end to the carburetor or purge, and you should be good to go.

• diytrying
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much! It was great of you to take the time to provide all the details (which I couldn't find elsewhere) and I've printed your message to take with me on the "hunt".
    There isn't enough slack on the old line to pull it up enough to reattach the filter so I'll just pull it out and give Lowe's and HD a try first since they are close. The existing length is much less than a foot...far cheaper at any of the alternatives than anything else I have to repair!

• jasper60103
    13 years ago

I wanted to add this thread was very helpful to me as well. I found the fuel line at a local Ace hardware store and threaded it through the tank as stated above. The trimmer is now working like a champ. Thanks again.

• shaggnasty
    13 years ago

I just did this a week ago on my cheapo Homelite. My fuel filter looked pretty nasty, so I got a new one...I think it was like $1.50 or something.